Cable routing for '97 Llama

Peteholden

Jan 9, 2023, 9:54:02 PM1/9/23
to y...@bikefriday.com
Does the rear brake cable housing route thru the bottom hinge or around it?  Currently it is zip-tied outside the dual hinge plates; but I don't see why it can't go thru that space - doesn't seem affected by the fold!

Also, currently the brake is routed thru the two braze-ons on the derailler (right) side, while the 3x7 is routed on the left.  Seems like both shifter cables should be on the same side, and the brake on the other.

.     _/\_
Peter Holden

John Thurston

Jan 10, 2023, 11:41:52 AM1/10/23
to y...@bikefriday.com

Passing the cable through the gap in the hinge will work until you complete the fold, and then it will be pinched and kinked. Routing it under the bottom bracket lets its flip out of the way during the fold. If you are re-doing this cabling, I highly recommend considering the "string of beads" style of cable housing in this area. It is very flexible, very durable, and not inexpensive. One brand is Jagwire Elite Link.

As for the brake cable . . you don't say what kind of brake you have, nor where the housing enters the brake. Without that information, it will be hard to make a solid recommendation.

These cables aren't magic. They just want to run freely, without being wrapped around stuff, or kinked. Really, all of the brazed on housing stops are interchangeable. Use what you need to get the cables running where you need them to run. I have sometimes run my dual-drive shift cable down the left side, and sometimes down the right. I have similarly used different routing for my brake cable, depending on what levers and calipers I am using.

--
John Thurston
Juneau, Alaska

robert clark

Jan 11, 2023, 12:02:09 PM1/11/23
to Bike Friday Yak!, John Thurston
+1,  My disc brake Llama cable run is under the BB shell -  braze-ons are rings not stops
 so run of housed cable the whole way one piece, lever to brake..  ( got it with V brake posts too, not my spec.)

Robert Wavrin

Jan 11, 2023, 12:08:58 PM1/11/23
to Bike Friday Yak!, robert clark
I second the "string of beads" down by the bottom bracket shell. No matter what I tried with regular housing it got kinked after a few times of folding. After installing the Jagwire beads I've had no more issues for years now.

Bob

Peteholden

Jan 16, 2023, 12:40:41 AM1/16/23
to robert...@gmail.com, y...@bikefriday.com, ro3ert...@gmail.com

So Bob - do you like the Elite Links or the Sport XL (highlighted for folders)?

.     _/\_
Peter Holden

Robert Wavrin

Jan 16, 2023, 7:17:56 AM1/16/23
to Peteholden, BIKE FRIDAY YAK, robert clark
I really like the elite links as I haven't had any housing kink issues since using them. As John said they are kind of expensive. For the rear brake I only use them down by the bottom bracket - eight to 12 inches.

I also use them for the front derailleur which is a much longer run from the lever to the first housing guide. This stretch of housing kept kinking too, for a reason unknown to me (maybe since it was so long and no support?) It still does with the links but can be straightened out and not affect shifting performance.

I haven't tried the XL housing so can't attest to how it might work.

Bob

John Thurston

Jan 16, 2023, 3:16:35 PM1/16/23
to y...@bikefriday.com

I'm not Bob, but I'll answer anyway.

The Elite Link is what we've been talking about. It is a "string of (aluminum) beads". It isn't cheap, but it works great. You don't need to use it everywhere. Feel free to use it where you need it, and something less expensive elsewhere. On my Friday's, I use it under the bottom bracket. Depending on the derailleur, I've also used it for the "loop" from the chainstay. It works fine for brakes or for shifting. The different "kits" differ only in the end-pieces included.

Note that the 'beads' never wear out. Should the liner wear out, it can be replaced (part number JSAD000).

I find it too droopy and flexible for use from the handlebars to the mono-tube.

This stuff will make a _much_ tighter curve than any other housing I've used, which is why it works so well under the BB. 8cm diameter is the comfortable minimum. I can squeeze it in to 7cm without risk of kinking, but it puts a lot of stress on the end-caps.

If Jagwire is too expensive, there are other alternatives which are also "string of beads". TRLREQ is one I've tried. These don't make as tight a curve as the Jagwire product, but they are significantly less expensive. Also note they look similar, but are _not_ interchangeable (i.e. don't try to make a string of interspersed Jagwire and TRLREQ beads).

On 1/15/2023 8:40 PM, 'Peteholden' via Bike Friday Yak! wrote:
So Bob - do you like the Elite Links or the Sport XL
--
John Thurston
Juneau, Alaska
IMG_1810.jpg