Best tandem for incredible journeys…

Lynette Chiang (Galfromdownunder)

Jan 9, 2023, 1:06:28 AM1/9/23
to y...@bikefriday.com, Gracia Ng, David Febland

Hi Yaksters!
I’m sitting here in NY with a young from Singapore who’ve just completed a tour of 50 US states in their customized van, and are now planning to ride their Santana Sovereign tandem (which they got for a great price, they’re on a strict budget) across EU and Asia back to Singapore in a couple of months.
I hooked them up with a very seasoned Santana owner (thank you David Febland!) but naturally suggested they check out a BF Tandem Traveler to minimize all the potential boxing and schlepping hassles. They’ll most likely use their Santana but they’re curious how much a used BF tandem is, for future reference… so then, how much would a used say, TTXL be these days (I might be out of touch with the latest model names)? Also, if you tandeming Yaksters can offer any gotta-know-or-else tips for such a journey (not just pro vs con on regular vs BF tandems) I’m sure Jia and Gracia are all ears! I’m cc-ing them here.

(One of my fave tandem memories is riding the 31 lb, single-suitcase TwinAir in the 5 boro back in 2002. WHATABIKE. I still think it should be in MOMA! That memory exhumed here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151496059181590&set=a.10150721078771590&type=3&mibextid=r5uJeJ
)

Lynette Chiang
@chelseagallerista /
@galftomdownunder /
Author of The Handsomest Man in Cuba / www.handsomestmanincuba.comInventor of the Traffic Cone Bag™ www.trafficconebag.comPhone 541-513-7711 (USA)

You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.

Geof Gee

Jan 9, 2023, 12:03:04 PM1/9/23
to Lynette Chiang (Galfromdownunder), y...@bikefriday.com, Gracia Ng, David Febland
Naturally with bikes, components will alter the price a lot ... Chris King and Dura-Ace will cost a lot more than Shimano LX with a Dual Drive. But with steel bikes I think it's advantageous to go with older bikes. I think you can find a reasonably spec'ed tandem traveler touring between 1000-2000 (US). If you're interested in a road group, it might be worthwhile to find a good older frame and then upgrade to the shifters/derailers you want since it's my experience that index shifters degrade with age.

-G
Arlington, VA

--
another great conversation from the Bike Friday Yak!
---

"Sometimes I forget things.  Who I am.  Where I am.  Unimportant things. But I'm not insane. "

robert clark

Jan 9, 2023, 9:44:08 PM1/9/23
to Bike Friday Yak!, geo...@gmail.com, y...@bikefriday.com, Gracia Ng, David Febland, galfromd...@gmail.com
Building a Bike Friday Tandem with a Rohloff hub  wont need a special  Tandem Crankset
because it won't need but 1  front chainring  & 2 , both on the stoker right side  ..  14 speeds all in the hub.

Lots already used on tandems..  Paris to Peru