Wanted: Air Friday (medium)

Ryan Nute

Jan 3, 2023, 12:37:48 PM1/3/23
to Bike Friday Yak!
I missed out on an Air Friday that came up on Craigslist.  I'm curious to try one out.  If you have a medium you'd be interested in selling, please contact me.  Thanks!

Ryan

Ryan Nute

Jan 5, 2023, 5:38:51 PM1/5/23
to Bike Friday Yak!, Ryan Nute
Thank you to all who responded with offers and suggestions, much appreciated!  I was able to find a nice specimen locally at a very reasonable price.  Here it is!  Looking forward to taking it for a spin.

Ryan

IMG_20230105_141631495.jpg

Joseph Bernard

Jan 5, 2023, 6:39:37 PM1/5/23
to Bike Friday Yak!, Ryan Nute
Sweet! I've been looking at the one on Ebay for a while, I can't think of a reason I would need one but they sure are cool!

Joe Bernard

Eric Daume

Jan 5, 2023, 6:55:10 PM1/5/23
to Ryan Nute, Bike Friday Yak!
As comfy as my Crusoe is with a normal shaped-but-titanium seat tube extension, I expect that will be pretty amazing!

Eric

--
another great conversation from the Bike Friday Yak!
---

John Thurston

Jan 5, 2023, 8:09:59 PM1/5/23
to y...@bikefriday.com

On 1/5/2023 1:38 PM, Ryan Nute wrote:
Thank you to all who responded with offers and suggestions, much appreciated!  I was able to find a nice specimen locally at a very reasonable price.  Here it is!

Ryan, it's hard to tell from the photo .. did you score an early model with the demountable fork?

--
John Thurston
Juneau, Alaska

hpvluve...@aol.com

Jan 5, 2023, 9:13:55 PM1/5/23
to eric...@gmail.com, rcn...@hotmail.com, y...@bikefriday.com
I have always been attracted to these and saw one from a distance once. I was camping and the parking lot drive was gravel. A lady came off the trail carrying her bike because she didn't want to ride in the gravel. It was at least a quarter mile walk. She had it hung over her shoulder. Fran

Ryan Nute

Jan 6, 2023, 1:46:01 AM1/6/23
to Bike Friday Yak!, John Thurston
John--I think so based on this, agree?

Ryan

IMG_20230105_223414572 (1).jpg

John Thurston

Jan 6, 2023, 11:36:56 AM1/6/23
to Bike Friday Yak!
On 1/5/2023 9:46 PM, Ryan Nute wrote:
> John--I think so based on this, agree?

Oui :) That puppy will come apart so the whole frame will fit into a
carry-on roller bag.

Back in the day (of lower passenger loads and lenient carry-on rules),
you could roll your bicycle onto the airplane in a roller bag and stuff
it into the overhead. There were soft-sided wheel bags to go along.
Those could be stashed in the forward coat closet (Remember those, boys
and girls? They were usually across the aisle from the forward magazine
rack.)

Ken Preston

Jan 6, 2023, 12:00:27 PM1/6/23
to John Thurston, Bike Friday Yak!
John, your showing your age😉

Ken

> On Jan 6, 2023, at 10:36 AM, John Thurston <y...@thurstons.us> wrote:
> --
> another great conversation from the Bike Friday Yak!

Hugh L

Jan 6, 2023, 12:16:58 PM1/6/23
to Ken Preston, Bike Friday Yak!, John Thurston
I still own a set of those wheel bags.  I remember Jeff Linder sharing his flying with the AF in a carry-on.  As an FYI, the old AGs also had the detachable forks.

I do miss my old AG, but I still have an AF that is my project bike - it was a slightly damaged frame designed with horizontal drops for a Rohloff that I have found brakes that will reach far enough back so that I can use my old Sachs 3x with 406 rims as a stealth 3-speed.  This year, I will finally get around to building some 451 wheels for the bike and changing the small STI bars some larger H-bars.

Hugh Larkin
Meridian, ID
--
Hugh Larkin
Meridian, Idaho

You have no such accurate remembrance of a country you have driven through, as you gain by riding a bicycle. --Ernest Hemingway, 'Battle for Paris', 1944
Seeing it when walking is also good - Me, 2014.

Go Green!  Please do not print this e-mail unless it is completely necessary.

andrew.

Jan 7, 2023, 6:55:40 AM1/7/23
to Bike Friday Yak!, Ryan Nute
Ryan, it's good to see you got an Air Friday.  I'm curious as to how they ride compared to Softrides. Has anyone ridden both SoftRide and Air Friday? I've currently got an old steel framed Allsop Softride and used to also have an aluminium framed Softride (but never a PowerWing).  I've not ridden the remaining one for some years as it's quite limited on tyre width.

Andrew
Nillumbik, AU

andrew.

Jan 7, 2023, 7:03:52 AM1/7/23
to Bike Friday Yak!, eric...@gmail.com, Bike Friday Yak!, Ryan Nute
Eric,  I bought a 400mm titanium seatpost for my BF Silk, and I thought it made the ride a little bit softer than the aluminium post that was there before.  That's what you did and what you're talking about too?  The Crusoe doesn't have a beam like the AF, does it?

Andrew

Eric Daume

Jan 7, 2023, 3:08:42 PM1/7/23
to andrew., Bike Friday Yak!, Ryan Nute
Hi Andrew,

My ti part isn't the seat post, but the part below that, which connects the seat post to the frame. My seat post acts like a lever on this, giving it more flex than a seat post. It's very noticeable, almost like a suspension seat post.

IMG_3044.JPG

Eric

Ray Chong

Jan 7, 2023, 4:06:38 PM1/7/23
to Bike Friday Yak!
Hi Eric,

That's call the EasyPack post. I like it a lot. Makes packing so easy also.

-Ray

Ray Chong

Jan 7, 2023, 4:12:23 PM1/7/23
to Bike Friday Yak!
Hi Andrew,

I've owned a couple of Softride beam bikes, and an Air Glide and Air Friday. The Air bikes ride much like the Softrides. They are forgiving on bumpy terrain, but do require a smooth spin. Pedal mashers tend to bob or pogo up and down.

-Ray

--
another great conversation from the Bike Friday Yak!
---

Eric Daume

Jan 7, 2023, 8:08:39 PM1/7/23
to Ray Chong, Bike Friday Yak!
For my use case (folding it up to put it in my trunk, not a hard case), I would prefer the folding seat mast vs. my removable one.

I'd also prefer the bottom bracket that folds with the rear wheel. Maybe next BF.

Eric