advice on rear derailleur upgrade

Sue Reinert

Jul 26, 2024, 12:25:17 PM (20 hours ago) Jul 26
to Bike Friday Yak!
Friends, I have a 2018 Pocket Llama, has the original Shimano Altus 310 rear derailleur. Cassette is 18-32 8 spd. The derailleur needs to be replaced; I'd appreciate suggestions on an upgrade with a short cage that would work with this configuration. The front chainrings are 48-38-28. Thanks for any ideas.

Ken Preston

Jul 26, 2024, 12:53:16 PM (19 hours ago) Jul 26
to Sue Reinert, Bike Friday Yak!
I’ve replaced my Crusoe with Microshift products. Lots of options but sometimes hard to get.
Ken

--
another great conversation from the Bike Friday Yak!
---

Sue Reinert

Jul 26, 2024, 1:41:22 PM (19 hours ago) Jul 26
to Ken Preston, Bike Friday Yak!
Thanks, Ken.

Rick Mason

Jul 26, 2024, 2:25:08 PM (18 hours ago) Jul 26
to Sue Reinert, Ken Preston, Bike Friday Yak!
you said you have a 18-32 cassette. Did you mean 13-32?  An 18 tooth small cog with a 48 tooth large ring would spin out at about 14 MPH!

I ask because 48 t0 28 up front, and 18-32 ibn back is only 34 teeth total range. Most short cage derailleurs will work with that. But if you really have a 13-32 cassette as I suspect, that's 39 teeth. Very few, if any short cage derailleurs will work with that.

--
"Life is like riding a bicycle - to keep balanced, you must keep moving."  - Albert Einstein
"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left." - Myself

Sue Reinert

Jul 26, 2024, 3:05:18 PM (17 hours ago) Jul 26
to Rick Mason, Ken Preston, Bike Friday Yak!
Sorry, my mistake, it's 11-32. I wonder if I should just replace the worn out Altus with a new one.

Geof Gee

Jul 26, 2024, 9:49:02 PM (10 hours ago) Jul 26
to Rick Mason, Sue Reinert, Ken Preston, Bike Friday Yak!
Glad you asked Rick!

In Shimano speak, you have SS, GS, and SGS designations which I'll call short, medium and long. Look for a mountain bike GS rear derailleur compatible with your 8-speed shifters, then it will also be optimized for your size cassette.

-Geof
Arlington, VA

On Fri, Jul 26, 2024 at 2:25 PM Rick Mason <rick.a...@gmail.com> wrote:

--

"Sometimes I forget things.  Who I am.  Where I am.  Unimportant things. But I'm not insane. "

Geof Gee

Jul 26, 2024, 10:05:18 PM (10 hours ago) Jul 26

On Fri, Jul 26, 2024 at 9:48 PM Geof Gee <geo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Glad you asked Rick!

In Shimano speak, you have SS, GS, and SGS designations which I'll call short, medium and long. Look for a mountain bike GS rear derailleur compatible with your 8-speed shifters, then it will also be optimized for your size cassette.

-Geof
Arlington, VA

On Fri, Jul 26, 2024 at 2:25 PM Rick Mason <rick.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
Most short cage derailleurs will work with that. But if you really have a 13-32 cassette as I suspect, that's 39 teeth. Very few, if any short cage derailleurs will work with that.

Oh ... I'll add that Rick's intuition is completely inline with mine. Assuming you're like a lot of modern cyclists who cross chain a lot -- "cross chain" means use the biggest chainring with the biggest rear cog or smallest chainring with smallest cog -- it's important to pay attention to the rear derailleur's capacity.  If you're confident you won't cross chain, then you can push the capacity constraints.

-G
Arlington, VA

David Dillard

Jul 26, 2024, 11:49:01 PM (8 hours ago) Jul 26
to Geof Gee, Rick Mason, Sue Reinert, Ken Preston, Bike Friday Yak!
microSHIFT Advent "Super Short" Flatbar Groupset, 9spd – Velo Orange (velo-orange.com)

You all might find this interesting.

David Dillard
Louisville