Earth Month Updates and Opportunities Next Week!

Stalin Haeger-Espinal

Apr 11, 2024, 8:59:34 AMApr 11
to i...@bcstudentgov.org, Peer Mentoring, Carrie Sadovnik, Jolanta Kruszelnicka, DaNashja.Davis

Dear Campus Community,

Hope this email finds you well! Spring is here, and with it come April showers! As a result, the Trash Talk: Campus Waste Audit has been moved to April 18th, 2024, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., in conjunction with the Sustainability Fair, due the inclement weather tomorrow.  See details below and register to volunteer!

 We are excited to share some upcoming events and volunteer opportunities with you! Here are the events and opportunities lined up:

On Queer Ecologies: Aligning Queer+ and Environmental Liberation

  • Date: Tuesday, April 16th, 2024
  • Time: 12:15 PM – 2:15 PM
  • Location: Student Center, Room 518, Occidental Room

The On Queer Ecologies panel discussion will introduce and explore intersectional environmentalism in a way that centers queer and trans organizers. Join us to find and create a deeper understanding of the unique position that LGBTQ+ people have in the struggle for environmental justice and learn more about queer and intersectional environmentalism. Panelists include Nicole Seymour, author of Strange Natures: Futurity, Empathy, and the Queer Ecological Imagination; LoriKim Alexander, author of Ethical Vegan; Lorie Bryant, organizing director at the Center for Transforming Communities; and Genea Foster, community education program manager at the Center for Urban Pedagogy. The moderator will be Darren J. Glenn, a Trinidadian-born American intersectional environmentalist, racial justice, and LGBTQ+ rights advocate, and librarian based in the New York City area. Cosponsored by the LGBTA Student Club and the Office of Sustainability.

 Trash Talk: Help us Get to Zero Waste! 🌍 Campus Waste Audit - NEW DATE!

  • Date: Thursday, April 18th, 2024
  • Time: 11:00 AM – 3:00 PM
  • Location: Brooklyn College, West Quad

Join the Waste Audit Volunteer Team, including Student Affairs S.A.I.L. Center, BC GREEK Council, BC Sustainability Club, NYPIRG, Facilities Buildings and Grounds, staff, faculty, and students, for a firsthand look at the waste we generate. The goal of the audit is to analyze our waste stream and identify ways to cultivate a less wasteful campus. Pizza and refreshments to be provided. Register to join: https://forms.office.com/r/m4pUHhdt0D

Brooklyn College Sustainability Fair

  • Date: Thursday, April 18th, 2024
  • Time: 12:15 PM – 3:00 PM
  • Location: Brooklyn College, West Quad

Annual sustainability-club event for the campus to learn about energy conservation, composting, renewable energy, local and sustainable food choices, and habitat restoration from various organizations and businesses. Enjoy activities, free giveaways, music, bike raffle, smoothies, and more! Join any sustainability club-sponsored event, meeting, volunteer activity, or drop off your food scraps to collect your free bike raffle tickets! The winner will be announced at 1:30 p.m. during the Sustainability Fair on Thursday, April 18th, 2024. Collect multiple raffle tickets by participating in each of the Spring 2024 club-sponsored events. Checkout the club’s Linktree for more: https://linktr.ee/bcsust

Brooklyn College Garden (BCG) Volunteer Landscape & Gardening – Drop-in Hours

  • Starting: March 19th, 2024, through the end of the semester on Tuesdays and Thursdays
  • Time: 12:15 PM – 2:15 PM
  • Location: BC Garden, Campus Rd. and Avenue H

Calling all nature lovers! 🌼 Help make our community garden bloom with beauty. Join us plant native perennials and tend to communal beds during drop-in hours. Register as a volunteer here: https://forms.office.com/r/hKf06yXZbN

E-Waste Collection through April (Earth Month)

  • Starting: Monday, April 1st through April 30th, 2024, by appointment only

Unwanted electronics will be accepted for recycling on April 18th, 2034 (12:15-3:00 pm) in partnership with the Office of Environmental Health and Safety. Individuals and offices can drop off smaller electronic e-waste during the sustainability fair; larger items and volumes should schedule an appointment. Non-BRO coded e-waste will continue to be accepted throughout the month. Please email us at e...@brooklyn.cuny.edu to schedule an appointment to drop off your e-waste.

Thank you for your commitment to sustainability and making a positive impact on our campus and community!

Please feel free to share widely or let me know if you have any questions.

Best Wishes,

Stalin Espinal (he/him), HEO

Sustainability Coordinator

t. 718.951.5400 x2169 (o)