CT Bluegrass Newsletter

Austin Scelzo

Jul 5, 2022, 1:48:11 PM7/5/22
to ne...@bbu.org

Festivals, Workshops, Jams and More. – July Newsletter

Bluegrass and Beer Returns to Park City Music Hall

WEDNESDAY, JULY 06

 Doors: 5pm // Show: 6pm

 $5 at the door

Bluegrass & Beer Picking Jam & Open Mic
Hosted by Hitch & The Giddyup
Wed July 6, 2022
All Ages

Moving skillfully between original bluegrass, soulful Americana, and honky tonk country, Hitch & the Giddyup trade in a variety of musical wares. Their harmonious singing, hot picking, and especially deft song craft make them a unique presence in the folk music sphere. The group took shape in 2014 as a collective of several well-known Connecticut acoustic bands, and found that they shared an uncommon chemistry and a mutual interest in writing and performing original American music.

5:00pm – Doors
6:00pm – 7:30pm – Bluegrass in the round, open jam
7:45pm – 8:30pm – Hitch & The Giddy Up
8:30pm – 10:00pm – Bluegrass Open Mic (in house signups)
10:15pm – 12:00am – Hitch & The Giddy Up w/ Special Guests

Read more here

Podunk Bluegrass Festival Looking for Volunteers

 Podunk is looking for volunteers for our non profit event. A great way to experience bluegrass for free and help a non profit is to volunteer!

As a thank you, receive free weekend admission to the entire festival and more. Sign up Today!

Click here to view Volunteer Crew Descriptions

Grey Fox Bluegrass Festival Right around the corner!

July 14-17, 2022 – Oak Hill New York

We’re thrilled and can’t wait to bring the genre’s best bluegrass and roots music to you — plus all the workshops, dancing, jamming, camping, family fun, and more that we’ve been missing for two long years! It’s the homecoming we’ve all been waiting for!

This is the biggest festival in the Northeast- check out this amazing documentary if you have never been there.

Kids Academies

Podunk Bluegrass Festival: Aug 11-14

Podunk Bluegrass Festival Kids Academy

Kids’ Academy Registration is open! Free to children ages 7-17. Kids play the main stage on Sunday!

Again this year, Podunk is offering an instructional & performance program for young bluegrass musicians aged 7-17. Individual and group instruction will be provided.

Check out pictures from the program!

See what parents had to say about our program!

Grey Fox Kids Academy

July 14-17, 2022 – Oak Hill New York Register here

Since 1999, the Grey Fox Bluegrass Academy for Kids (BGA) has been teaching kids to play, sing and perform bluegrass music on site during the festival. The free, four-day, camp-like program consists of instrumental instruction; ensemble and harmony vocal practice; and guest appearances by musicians performing at Grey Fox. The grand finale of the program is the ‘Big Gig’ Sunday afternoon on the High Meadow Stage. Approximately 100 kids participate each year. They have fun, learn new skills, improve their playing and singing ability, grow in confidence and make friendships can last a lifetime.

Jam Camp North

Sept 15-18 2022

Jam Camp North
Sept 15-18 2022

Prindle Pond Conference Center, Charlton MA Thank you so much for supporting
Mandolin and Banjo Camps this spring! Registration will open 7pm June 29th
We’ll be staffing with New England folks
More information coming soon on our website.

https://musiccampsnorth.com/2022-jam-camp-north-registration-information/Jam Camp

Bluegrass Camp Ashokan
Monday, August 8th – Friday, August 12th

Kimber Ludiker hosts a week of bluegrass instruction and jamming for guitar, fiddle, mandolin, banjo, bass, vocals and songwriting. Learn from inspirational teachers hand-picked to cultivate a magical environment after a long few years of not being able to learn in person!

Staff includes: Casey CampbellGreg CahillVickie VaughnGrant Gordy and your host Kimber Ludiker! Plus, jambassador, Tessa Schwartz

Silver Bay Bluegrass Camp

August 21-26, 2022

9am-12:30pm: Daily classes for banjo, guitar, fiddle, mandolin, dobro, bass…AND… Coached small jam groups, intermediate/advanced.

1:50-5pm: coaching on harmony singing (one coach per trio), classes on songwriting, basic music theory, practice “boot camp”, playing under pressure, stagecraft, and more!

Activities every evening: fiddle tune jam, open mics, karaoke, history, jamming, beautiful sunsets!

Organized Bands: $395 each member

For band members registering together, to work together as a band throughout the week: $65.00 off each member’s tuition. Bands will have opportunities to perform and get performance coaching including working with a sound system on stage (band lab), band cohesion, rehearsal guidance, band decision-making, “how to make a band work”.

Band members must first contact Pete as a group, for approval of the group members’ band discount, and then they can each register with the discount.

Level 1 and Level 2 Camp available for beginner-advanced players

Bluegrass Jam Class

Two classes left Wednesday Night in Bethel CT! Contact Austin Scelzo for details!

Aus...@austinscelzo.com

Jam Class in Guildford CT

Guilford CT Saturday Aug 27

Public Jams

Friday, June 8

Ridgefield First Congregational Church

9-10 PM

Third Thursday

Bearsville Theater – Woodstock NY

4-10 PM

Third Thursday: (July 21)

Charter Oak Brewery – Danbury CT

6:30 – 9 PM

Next Door Pizza – New Haven CT

6:30 – 9 PM

Fourth Sunday

Nod Hill Brewery – Ridgefield CT

2:30-5

Bluegrass Coffeehouse Presents: Bale Kickers and Friends

The Bluegrass Coffeehouse is a casual environment great for the whole family.

On  Friday, July 8 There will be Live bluegrass music from 7:00PM-9:00PM, followed by an open bluegrass jam from 9:00-10:00PM.

Refreshments, baked goods, and pizza will be for sale

Suggested donation is $10 per person. Free admission for children.

Location: First Congregational Church, 103 Main St, Ridgefield, CT 06877

Ossipee Valley Music Festival

 Hiram, ME JULY 28TH – 31ST

“Our festival features bluegrass, roots, americana, jazz, soul, and folk musicians of world renown. Many of them have won or have been nominated for Grammy, Juno, and IBMA awards. We also feature artists of folk traditions from around the world whose traditions have inspired American Roots Music or are now a part of American melting pot culture, and we always try to feature music in other languages. Our festival is also an all-inclusive experience–a ticket includes access to workshops, dances, yoga, kids music programs & activities, camping and more. The festival also offers local farm food & craft beer, and art and specialty goods handcrafted by our vendors. While the festival has been canceled for 2020 and 2021 due to Covid 19, we are excited to return in 2022!

46th Annual Roxbury Pickin’ n Fiddling Contest

Sponsored by the Roxbury Volunteer Fire Department.

Over $3400 in prize money.  Bring a lawn chair/blanket!

*Vendors*Crafts*Food*Playground*Games* Free parking

Contest Rules can be found here

Event Date:

Saturday, July 14, 2018 – 2:00pm

Address: