[BayDualEnrollmentCoP] Fees for Dual Enrollment Students

1 view

Mallory Stevens

Jan 12, 2022, 1:15:11 PM1/12/22
to dualenro...@baccc.net
Hi dual enrollment practitioners! What are the fee policies for students participating in dual enrollment at your community colleges? What has been done to reduce these fees? Do you believe they are a barrier to dual enrollment?

Thank you for your thoughts!

Mallory

--
It is not beyond our power to create a world in which all children have access to a good education. In my travels all over the world, I have come to realize that what distinguishes one child from another is not ability, but access. Access to education, access to opportunity, access to love. -- Nelson Mandela

______________________
Mallory J. Stevens, EdD | Pathways Support Consultant
Bay Region | Hosted by Contra Costa Community College District (4CD)

Arika Spencer-Brown

Jan 12, 2022, 1:21:37 PM1/12/22
to Mallory Stevens, dualenro...@baccc.net
Good Morning Mallory,

From a secondary perspective, I strongly believe the fees are a hindrance/barrier to high school students and their desire to enroll in dually or concurrently.

To set a meeting with me: Meet with Dr. Spencer-Brown

Sincerely,

Dr. Arika Spencer-Brown
Director of College and Career Pathways
Leadership Public Schools
99 Linden Street, SUITE 99
Oakland , CA 94607
Cell/Business Phone: 510-435-8969
E-mail Address: aspence...@leadps.org
Visit us at: www.leadps.org
School Begins August 17th

“Watch your thoughts, they become your words; watch your words, they become your actions; watch your actions, they become your habits; watch your habits, they become your character; watch your character, it becomes your destiny.”― Lao Tzu

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/baccc.net/d/msgid/dualenrollmentcop/CAGCbSEQxHAZQtqXFnKF08KC_fqGT6isHjdWn8xexuNg7JQZMeA%40mail.gmail.com.

Mallory Stevens

Jan 12, 2022, 1:26:02 PM1/12/22
to dualenro...@baccc.net
To clarify, non-CCAP dual enrollment/concurrent enrollment/individual dual enrollment.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/baccc.net/d/msgid/dualenrollmentcop/CAHtPEO8kAdgJ_HSZStxV6bwpEZJYNauei2dKJesQGdgU8hDJ9Q%40mail.gmail.com.

Arika Spencer-Brown

Jan 12, 2022, 1:27:32 PM1/12/22
to Mallory Stevens, dualenro...@baccc.net
Thanks for the clarification.  My initial answer remains the same.

To set a meeting with me: Meet with Dr. Spencer-Brown

Sincerely,

Dr. Arika Spencer-Brown
Director of College and Career Pathways
Leadership Public Schools
99 Linden Street, SUITE 99
Oakland , CA 94607
Cell/Business Phone: 510-435-8969
E-mail Address: aspence...@leadps.org
Visit us at: www.leadps.org
School Begins August 17th

“Watch your thoughts, they become your words; watch your words, they become your actions; watch your actions, they become your habits; watch your habits, they become your character; watch your character, it becomes your destiny.”― Lao Tzu

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/baccc.net/d/msgid/dualenrollmentcop/CAGCbSESMWCGDbb1OPs_hJzsemzEBiAW%2BSgHpLOOk98z11DD2jw%40mail.gmail.com.

Allison Zuckerbrow

Jan 12, 2022, 4:12:57 PM1/12/22
to Arika Spencer-Brown, Mallory Stevens, dualenro...@baccc.net
I do see the fee as a barrier.  When trying to promote taking college courses while in high school, one of the benefits we advertise is that the courses are free - which, tuition-wise is accurate, but then when they see fees pop up in their account, and have to pay for the book, a lot of them withdraw or decide not to take additional classes.

I have been happy to see that our local college is making an effort to go with free/reduced cost textbooks for as many classes as possible across the board, not just for dual enrollment.

Thanks,
Allison

Ms. Zuckerbrow (She/Her/Hers)
College & Career Counselor
Castro Valley High School
Follow CVHS College & Career Center on Instagram @cvcollegecareer

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE TO RECIPIENT(S): This e-mail communication and any attachment(s) may contain information that is confidential and/or privileged by law and is meant solely for the intended recipient(s).  Unauthorized use, review, duplication, disclosure or interception of this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may violate applicable laws including the Electronic Communications Privacy Act.
If you received this e-mail in error please notify us immediately of the error by return e-mail and please delete this message and any attachment(s) from your system. Thank you for your cooperation.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/baccc.net/d/msgid/dualenrollmentcop/CAOuxzeGwiJOF0PdQ3EZiB6icqddJ1qAPKfPz3JS6UaBJi%2BhFew%40mail.gmail.com.

Bernabe, Linda

Jan 12, 2022, 4:34:01 PM1/12/22
to Allison Zuckerbrow, Arika Spencer-Brown, Mallory Stevens, dualenro...@baccc.net

Hello!

Here at Gavilan College all of our dual enrollment offerings are Non-CCAP. About five years ago or so, we did eliminate fees for our high school students. I am not sure if we have data that shows the impact on enrollment unfortunately. I want to believe that any barrier that is removed is a positive 😊

We do offer several courses through high step, through that program we always waived fees and included textbooks. The textbook costs are covered either by us or the high school,

However, those students who enrollment independently do have to pay for course materials/textbooks.

Thanks,

Linda Bernabe
Interim Director of Community and Educational Partnerships

lber...@gavilan.edu
Phone: 408-848-4852 www.community.gavilan.edu

Title: Hexagon bar - Description: Hexagon bar

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/baccc.net/d/msgid/dualenrollmentcop/BY5PR10MB4002E7AD0B48D0DF7F31FD88CB529%40BY5PR10MB4002.namprd10.prod.outlook.com.

Mallory Stevens

Jan 12, 2022, 7:00:31 PM1/12/22
to Allison Zuckerbrow, Arika Spencer-Brown, dualenro...@baccc.net
The Open Educational Resource movement is definitely a critical piece to access, Allison! I have some really useful links on the Best Practices part of the BACCC dual enrollment website if anybody would like to know more.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/baccc.net/d/msgid/dualenrollmentcop/CAHtPEO_CWmwOnMEtdkNW2nkuvDtFxoWa7PO%3DmgPXGYx6g9uHgg%40mail.gmail.com.