[jobdevelopercop] Upcoming regional employer career event with SVLG and BAC - update and request for career resources

Carrie Portis

Aug 20, 2021, 5:52:30 PM8/20/21
to jobdeve...@baccc.net
Hi everyone,

I wanted to let you all know that I am working with the Silicon Valley Leadership Group, the Bay Area Council and Valley Vision (out of Sacramento) on a regional career event to connect community college students to their member companies. It will be matching students with professionals in these companies for self-scheduled informational interviews and we expect it to launch next month.

SVLG and BAC are coordinating with Umoja and Puenta communities on the campuses to reach students, and with employer resource groups at the companies to get professionals to volunteer. Which Bay Area colleges will be participating is still being identified, as the leads at the colleges are also busy, as also are you all, in launching the new school year.

We will be encouraging students to get assistance from their career services at their college to prepare for their informational interviews and take what they learned in their informational interviews to get help in furthering their career development.

We also know that some participating students may not reach out for career services help, so we want to give students some information when they sign-up that they can use to prepare. Please pass along suggested resources for students that could be part of a short packet for these informational interviews or other related resources - such as doing a LinkedIn profile. You can send it to me and it will be much, much appreciated.

I can provide an update to you all on thow this goes. And if any of you have been doing similar types of events and have any advice, please let me know. I think we're all learning there are many ways to support career development these days and looking for what people will sign-up for and what they will find valuable.

Take care,
Carrie