[BayDualEnrollmentCoP] Fwd: Reminder - Webinar: Research Priorities for Advancing Equitable Dual Enrollment Policy and Practice

Mallory Stevens

Jul 13, 2022, 2:14:11 PM7/13/22
to dualenro...@baccc.net

Forwarded for College in High School Alliance. If you are interested in dual enrollment research, consider joining this event. The panel is made up of well known dual enrollment researchers. It should be a really good event!

Regards,

Mallory

Just a reminder to join us for a webinar on dual enrollment research into policy and practice.
Dear members of the College in High School Alliance,

I am writing to remind you about the upcoming release on July 20 of a white paper that contains a new research agenda for dual enrollment, and a webinar that will take place that day discussing the new research agenda and its implications.

Research Priorities for Advancing Equitable Dual Enrollment Policy and Practice

A New Whitepaper Releasing on Wednesday, July 20

College in high school programs, like dual enrollment, concurrent enrollment, and early college high school, have increased exponentially over the last several years. These programs help bridge the divide between high school and college by allowing students to earn college credit while in high school, which is a key strategy to help lower the cost of college and get students of color and other student populations historically underrepresented in higher education on the path to college success. However, despite a significant and growing body of research focused on dual enrollment, the policy and practice field that supports it still need high-quality research to answer a number of questions about the most appropriate way to expand access to these programs and to center equity.

Two years ago, the Joyce Foundation funded 9 researchers and 12 national policy and practice leaders in the dual enrollment space – led by Dr. Jason Taylor from the University of Utah and Alex Perry from Foresight Law + Policy –  to come together to take stock of what we already know about dual enrollment and what we still need to learn to build the right policies and systems to close equity gaps in participation and completion of these programs.

On Wednesday July 20, the team will release Research Priorities for Advancing Equitable Dual Enrollment Policy and Practice, a white paper that will highlight what we already know about dual enrollment along with the next set of “leading” research questions. This paper is designed to give the policy and practice field the most up to date look at what existing research tells us about these programs, and to inspire researchers to answer questions that will advance more equitable dual enrollment policies and practices.

The white paper will release on Wednesday July 20, and we will follow up with more information on where and how to access it as soon as it goes live.

Please Join Us for a Webinar To Discuss the White Paper

Wednesday July 20, 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM Eastern Time

Following the white paper’s release on July 20, please join a national panel of researchers and dual enrollment practice leaders, moderated by the white paper’s lead author, Dr. Jason Taylor, on Wednesday July 20 at 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM Eastern Time to discuss highlights in the research agenda, key research questions, and ways policymakers, practitioners, and advocates can advance the conversation around dual enrollment policy and research with an equity lens to support the next generation of young people.

Participating in the webinar will be:
  • Jason Taylor, Associate Professor, Department of Educational Leadership and Policy, University of Utah
  • Mike Beam, Assistant Vice President for School Partnerships, Advance College Project, Indiana University
  • Xiaodan Hu, Assistant Professor, Department of Counseling and Higher Education, Northern Illinois University
  • Julie Edmunds, Program Director for Secondary School Reform, SERVE Center at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro
  • John Fink, Senior Research Associate, Community College Research Center, Columbia University
  • Joel Vargas, Vice President of Programs, JFF
Please share information about the upcoming webinar and white paper release with your respective networks; we think anyone with an interest in how research informs dual enrollment policy and practice will find value in our work.

We hope to see you there!

Sincerely,

Alex Perry
Policy Advisor
Foresight Law + Policy
800 Maine Avenue SW, Suite #200
Washington, DC 20024
(p) 202.499.6996 ext. 106
(c) 202.431.7221

Copyright © *2019* *College in High School Alliance*, All rights reserved.

--
It is not beyond our power to create a world in which all children have access to a good education. In my travels all over the world, I have come to realize that what distinguishes one child from another is not ability, but access. Access to education, access to opportunity, access to love. -- Nelson Mandela