[BayDualEnrollmentCoP] Question- Awarding High School Credit for Concurrent Enrollment?

'Michelle Chan' via Dual Enrollment CoP

Sep 14, 2022, 2:43:02 PM9/14/22
to dualenro...@baccc.net
Hello Colleagues!

Michelle Chan from Making Waves Academy here! This is my first year in the role of AD of Early College, and this is the first year of planning towards our dual enrollment program to launch next year! We are quite new to dual enrollment at MWA, so I am reaching out to the experts for your experience and wisdom!

While we have supported concurrent enrollment for years, students usually took college courses for exploration, to advance their knowledge, and to earn college credit.
This year, a number of students took "Art Appreciation" at Contra Costa College over the summer and would like to use this class to fulfill their high school graduation requirement for Art. Our graduation requirements follow the UC/CSU A-G entrance requirements, therefore, a year of art is required to graduate. The "Art Appreciation" course at CC College articulates to UC/CSU schools.

At MWA, we definitely would like to honor coursework taken via Concurrent Enrollment and give high school credit to those students. However, we are running into questions. I'm hoping some of you may have crossed this bridge and could provide some insight.

1) Does your high school award credit towards graduation requirements for courses taken via concurrent enrollment?
2) If yes, is there a policy or formalized agreement your school has established to allow this? Would you be able to share what your policy entails?

We are trying to learn from the best practices you have used at your school, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you for you time.
Best,
Michelle
--

Michelle Chan

Associate Director of Early College

Preferred Gender Pronouns: she/hers/her

Main: 510-262-1511

Direct:  510-262-1511

Mobile: 510-410-8060

Email:   mc...@mwacademy.org

Making Waves Academy

4123 Lakeside Drive | Richmond, CA 94806

www.makingwavesacademy.org

Learn. Graduate. Give Back.

 CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this email message is intended only for use of the intended recipient. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately delete it from your system and notify the sender by replying to this email.

Heather Fontanilla

Sep 14, 2022, 3:54:23 PM9/14/22
to Michelle Chan, dualenro...@baccc.net
Hi Michelle -- Currently, our schools only award high school credit for courses taken for credit reclamation and if the class is a CCAP class.  Other than that the general rule is that they do not offer high school credit.  Our board policy is that students cannot generally take a class required for graduation unless the school is unable to offer that course to the student.  This loophole has allowed one of our alternative schools to take more college classes and get them on their high school transcript which, in my opinion, creates an equity issue.  We are currently reviewing this policy as we want to honor the college work while protecting the courses we offer.

Heather S. Fontanilla, Ed.D.

Administrator

College Now @ DVC

Career Pathways, Linked Learning

Mt. Diablo Unified School District

(925) 682-8000 ext. 4011

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/baccc.net/d/msgid/dualenrollmentcop/CALT3u60KeLoB%2B2hnZFS_ai8o0opVX0VZmvFCR9SvOA_%2Bzw5JrA%40mail.gmail.com.

Allison Zuckerbrow

Sep 20, 2022, 2:50:55 PM9/20/22
to Heather Fontanilla, Michelle Chan, dualenro...@baccc.net
Hi all,

1) We will award up to 20 credits of outside coursework... but there are restrictions.  Courses must not be ones that we offer at our school.
2) See below - this is from our Program Planning Guide that gets published each year.

image.png

Allison

Ms. Zuckerbrow (She/Her/Hers)
College & Career Counselor
Castro Valley High School
Follow CVHS College & Career Center on Instagram @cvcollegecareer

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE TO RECIPIENT(S): This e-mail communication and any attachment(s) may contain information that is confidential and/or privileged by law and is meant solely for the intended recipient(s).  Unauthorized use, review, duplication, disclosure or interception of this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may violate applicable laws including the Electronic Communications Privacy Act.
If you received this e-mail in error please notify us immediately of the error by return e-mail and please delete this message and any attachment(s) from your system. Thank you for your cooperation.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/baccc.net/d/msgid/dualenrollmentcop/CAOuxzeEsZiObW%3Dqhfq_j2%3DqEabLUnMNz_A6zvk03daF%2BmbPHTg%40mail.gmail.com.