School Librarians Facilitating the Success of English Language Learners

info storytrail.com

May 5, 2022, 5:16:31 PM5/5/22
to teacher.libra...@azla.org

Dear Colleagues,

Please see the attached flyer and consider applying to participate.

The School Librarians Facilitating the Success of English Language Learners pre-forum will be held online on May 28th , the Forum itself is offered both virtual and face to face at the University of North Texas in Denton on June 10th, and an online post-forum date TBD.

The purpose of the Forum is to build the capacity of school librarians to provide services for ELLs. We are seeking experts from the school library community and ELL stakeholders, such as linguists, ELL community members, public librarians, educational technologists, teachers, and school administrators. The anticipated outcomes are to:

  • Create a toolkit with resources and research-based strategies that school librarians can use for working with ELLs.

  • Develop a white paper with an action plan for future school librarian training and serving ELLs in school libraries.

The forum is funded by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS). The project partners are the University of North Texas and the International Association of School Librarianship. We anticipate funding 24 participants. Funded participants will receive a stipend, lodging, and travel. We seek to recruit participants nationwide who represent diverse backgrounds, cultures, positions, and demographics.

Please share this information with your classroom teacher colleagues and school administrators and encourage them to apply as well.

https://slfsell.unt.edu/application

Applications are due May 14th.

Best,

Judi

Judi Moreillon, MLS, PhD

Literacies and Libraries Consultant

2019 Scholastic Library Publishing Award

Author/Editor:
Core Values in School Librarianship: Responding with Commitment and Courage (Libraries Unlimited, 2021)

Maximizing School Librarian Leadership: Building Connections for Learning and Advocacy (ALA, 2018)
Coteaching Reading Comprehension Strategies in Elementary School Libraries: Maximizing Your Impact (ALA, 2013)
Coteaching Reading Comprehension Strategies in Secondary School Libraries: Maximizing Your Impact (ALA, 2012)

Please, Don’t Give Me A Hug!/Por favor, íno me abraces! (2019, 2021)
Ready and Waiting for You (2013)
Read to Me/Vamos a leer (2004)
Sing Down the Rain (1997)

http://storytrail.com