HB 2495 please respond

1 view

Jean Kilker

Sep 29, 2022, 5:51:02 PM9/29/22
to teacher.libr...@azla.org
This bill on sexually explicit material in books became law on Monday.   I've heard from many teacher librarians around the state on what their district is doing.  It ranges from unbelievable restrictions and book banning to no mention at all.
Could you please share any experience of implications for your library with this law.

Jean

Jean Kilker, M.A. M.Ed. NBPTS
Teacher-Librarian
Maryvale High School
ALA Libraries Ready to Code Grant
CARES Act Grant AZ Dept of Library Archives and Public Records
AZ Humanities Council Grant for Voracious Readers at MVHS
Co-chair Teacher Librarian Division of AZLA

Jean Kilker

Sep 30, 2022, 11:33:34 AM9/30/22
to teacher.libr...@azla.org
Hi,
As a reminder, Kathy Lester, AASL President, will be at AZLA in Prescott for the state conference.  She will be there from Wednesday afternoon to Friday afternoon.  If time is a crunch, you might want to just register for one day and drive up and back the same day.  Her session is  Thursday morning at 10AM
Jean
-

info storytrail.com

Sep 30, 2022, 1:19:23 PM9/30/22
to Jean Kilker, teacher.libr...@azla.org

Dear Jean and All,

In addition to HB 2495, the law about sexually explicit materials, I am concerned about HB2439, the law that requires school libraries with certified school librarians to post a list of their purchases online for a 60-day review period.

School libraries run by clerks, which sadly is most of them, or school-public joint-use libraries aren’t required to do so. This is a direct hit of the professionalism of state-certified school librarians.

The AzLA lobbyist seemed to feel like “we” had a win when the joint-use libraries were exempted. To my way of thinking that reinforces a (my?) perception that the association has a public library bias: https://apps.azleg.gov/BillStatus/BillOverview/76930?=Session525

AASL can’t fight all our battles from Chicago, but I feel more conversations with the U.S. Department of Education are in order around issues of student privacy, students’ right to read, intellectual freedom, and school librarians classification as instructional support staff, which keeps us on the margins in far too many districts across our state and around the country.

Sincerely,

Judi

Judi Moreillon, MLS, PhD

Literacies and Libraries Consultant

2019 Scholastic Library Publishing Award

Author/Editor:
Core Values in School Librarianship: Responding with Commitment and Courage (Libraries Unlimited, 2021)

Maximizing School Librarian Leadership: Building Connections for Learning and Advocacy (ALA, 2018)
Coteaching Reading Comprehension Strategies in Elementary School Libraries: Maximizing Your Impact (ALA, 2013)
Coteaching Reading Comprehension Strategies in Secondary School Libraries: Maximizing Your Impact (ALA, 2012)

Please, Don’t Give Me A Hug!/Por favor, íno me abraces! (2019, 2021)
Ready and Waiting for You (2013)
Read to Me/Vamos a leer (2004)
Sing Down the Rain (1997)

http://storytrail.com