[Webinar] Activating Core Values in the Library: EDI Strategies

1 view

info storytrail.com

May 10, 2022, 11:30:58 AM5/10/22
to teacher.libra...@azla.org, arizona.scho...@azla.org

Dear Colleagues,

Below is an opportunity for a free webinar offered by three contributors to our book Core Values in School Librarianship: Responding with Commitment and Courage (Libraries Unlimited 2021).

In addition, the School Library Connection magazine is offering a free copy of the book with a subscription to the magazine.

I hope you will take advantage of one or both of these offerings.

Best,

Judi

Judi Moreillon, MLS, PhD

Literacies and Libraries Consultant

2019 Scholastic Library Publishing Award

Author/Editor:
Core Values in School Librarianship: Responding with Commitment and Courage (Libraries Unlimited, 2021)

Maximizing School Librarian Leadership: Building Connections for Learning and Advocacy (ALA, 2018)
Coteaching Reading Comprehension Strategies in Elementary School Libraries: Maximizing Your Impact (ALA, 2013)
Coteaching Reading Comprehension Strategies in Secondary School Libraries: Maximizing Your Impact (ALA, 2012)

Please, Don’t Give Me A Hug!/Por favor, íno me abraces! (2019, 2021)
Ready and Waiting for You (2013)
Read to Me/Vamos a leer (2004)
Sing Down the Rain (1997)

http://storytrail.com
in...@storytrail.com
http://schoollibrarianleadership.com
@CactusWoman

View this email in your browser

UPCOMING WEBINAR

Activating Core Values in the Library: Strategies for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion

Presented by Meg Boisseau Allison, MEd, Erika Long, MSIS, and Julie Stivers, MLIS

Wednesday, May 25 @ 5pm Eastern

It can be easy to pay lip service to librarniship’s core values of diversity, equity, inclusion, and intellectual freedom. But what do those values look like in action? How can we intentionally build our collection, instruction, and programming to ensure that we are enacting these values on a daily basis with our school community—especially when librarian values are under attack?

In this webinar, librarians Meg Boisseau Allison, Erika Long, and Julie Stivers discuss what putting their core values into action looks like in their libraries, as well as usable strategies for embedding diversity, equity, and inclusion into your library practice.

Meg, Erika, and Julie are all contributors to Core Values in School Librarianship, edited by Judi Moreillon. And, for a limited time, you can get a free copy of their book with the purchase of a new subscription to School Library Connection, where you’ll also find discussion questions and activities to help you apply the lessons from Core Values directly to your practice.

Earn one hour of professional development credit for live or on-demand webinar participants.

Door Prize!

Can’t make it on May 25? Register to be updated when the recording is available for viewing!

Presenters for Activating Core Values in the Library:

Meg Boisseau Allison, MEd, is a 7–12 teacher-librarian at U-32 Middle and High School in East Montpelier, VT. She is a former Global Teacher Fellow, traveling to France and Italy to research fairy tales. She was recognized by the University of Vermont as an Outstanding Teacher, was co-Outstanding School Librarian of Vermont in 2020, and currently is the President of the Vermont School Library Association. She loves to run and coaches the U-32 Girls Varsity Cross-Country team.

Erika Long, MSIS, is a certified school librarian, currently serving as a consultant and library advocate. Long is secretary/treasurer of AASL, past-president of Tennessee Library Association, and serves in ALA governance. She has guest blogged and co-authored the “Equity” chapter in Core Values in School Librarianship: Responding with Commitment and Courage. Connect with her on Twitter @erikaslong and Instagram @notyomamaslibrarian.

Julie Stivers, MLIS (she/her/hers), is the librarian at Mount Vernon Middle, an alternative public school in Raleigh, North Carolina. Her work has been published in Knowledge Quest, School Library Journal, and YALS. As a 2018 ALA Emerging Leader, she helped develop AASL’s Defending Intellectual Freedom: LGBTQ+ Materials in School Libraries. She is the recipient of AASL’s 2017 Frances Henne Award and was named a 2019 Library Journal Mover and Shaker. She served as the chair for the YALSA Presidential Taskforce: Youth Activism through Community Engagement and is a facilitator in her district’s Office of Equity Affairs Summer Writing Institute for high school students. Her research and practical interests include culturally sustaining pedagogy, building inclusive library spaces, and exploring the power of graphic novels, manga, and anime with her students. She earned her MLIS from SILS at UNC–Chapel Hill and connects on Twitter at @BespokeLib.

1.800.368.6868 • custome...@abc.clio.com
© 2022 ABC-CLIO LLC

147 Castilian Dr., Santa Barbara, CA 93117

Website

Twitter

LinkedIn

YouTube