It's Right to Read Day!

AZLA Legislative

Apr 24, 2023, 11:48:47 AM4/24/23
to all.m...@azla.org

Dear AzLA members,

In response to increasing censorship nationwide, ALA has designated April 24 as Right Read Day, a national day of action to protect the freedom to read. As many of you know, our public and school libraries in Arizona have come under attack at the state legislature and, in some cases, from our own community members. Today, we urge you to act to protect the First Amendment and preserve our right to read in Arizona!

Here’s how we’re asking for your help:

1.      Use your social media accounts to raise the visibility of Right to Read Day and show your willingness to keep fighting against censorship for as long as it takes. Post the Right to Read Day graphic, and urge your friends and followers to join the fight. Repost and react to other supporters’ social media content after searching on #RightToReadDay and/or #UniteAgainstBookBans.

2.      Take individual action to protect our right to read here at home. You can choose from a range of options, from simply checking out a banned or challenged book to planning a protest!

3.      Join the Unite Against Book Bans campaign to stay connected to the movement. You can stay alert with updates, tools, and future actions to fight censorship efforts in our local communities.

Together we CAN make a difference in the fight against censorship. When the Arizona Senate proposed a bill that would cripple our school libraries’ ability to circulate a diverse collection, AzLA members spoke up and stopped it from moving forward in the House. Let’s continue to work as a team to save our right read in Arizona. Thank you!

--
Erin MacFarlane
Legislative Committee Chair