2011 Year-End President's Letter

Peter Suber

Dec 26, 2011, 10:42:34 AM12/26/11
to SOAF post, BOAI Forum post
[Forwarding from SSRN.  --Peter Suber.]

SSRN has grown substantially in the last 12 months. Within the next few days, the SSRN eLibrary (http://ssrn.com/search) will deliver its 50 millionth full-text paper download. This is a significant milestone for us. Thank you!

During the last year we changed our server architecture to improve the speed of searches, enhance overall stability, and provide the infrastructure required to meet the continued growth we have been experiencing. In our recent tests, the average eLibrary search time has decreased from 4.5 seconds to less than 1 second.

The SSRN eLibrary currently has 375,000 paper abstracts from over 175,000 authors and has received 60,000 new submissions during the year. SSRN's Citereader project with ITX Corp. has extracted 7.4 million references, 4.7 million citations, and 7.7 million footnotes from our 306,000 full text papers.

In 2012, our team will continue to improve the speed and stability of SSRN so that our users have the best possible experience. We will also continue to expand our interdisciplinary growth in the social sciences and humanities by creating research networks in Sustainability, Innovation, Rhetoric, Anthropology, and Hebrew.

Our year-end distribution break is scheduled for Monday, 26 December 2011 through Sunday, 7 January 2012. During the break, SSRN's abstracting eJournals will not be distributed so that we can expand the capacity and improve the performance of our servers. We will continue to provide support for downloads, submissions, and subscriptions but there will be periods of time when the site is unavailable. For any requests during the break, please contact customer support at UserS...@SSRN.com or call toll free 877-SSRNHelp (877-777-6435). Outside of the United States, call +1 585 442 8170. We are open Monday through Friday between 8:30AM and 6:00PM, United States Eastern.

I am always interested in your feedback about SSRN and our team loves to hear stories about how SSRN has impacted your life. Please contact me at Gregg_...@SSRN.com or use our "Feedback to SSRN" link on most SSRN web pages.

Thank you again for your continued support and Happy Holidays to you and your family!

Gregg Gordon
President
Social Science Research Network