Sociological perspectives on death in US

Amy Hofer

Oct 18, 2017, 1:23:06 PM10/18/17
to Open Textbook Network, sparc-...@arl.org, CCCOER Advisory
Hi all, apologies for cross-posting.

An instructor is looking for open resources covering sociological perspectives on death in the US. Course description: "Introduces the student to the institution of death in the United States. From a sociological frame of reference, the student will study death as a system for dealing with the social processes of dying, death, and bereavement."

So far I have found:
Nursing Care at the End of Life - SUNY open textbook
Death: A Personal Understanding - Annenberg video series, not openly licensed but terms of use may cover the course

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Amy

--
Amy Hofer
Coordinator, Statewide Open Education Library Services

Linn-Benton Community College
6500 SW Pacific Blvd.
Albany, OR 97321

Cuillier, Cheryl A - (ccuillie)

Oct 18, 2017, 1:34:36 PM10/18/17
to Amy Hofer, Open Textbook Network, sparc-...@arl.org, CCCOER Advisory

Hi Amy,

Trinity University professor Michael Kearl has put together this website: Sociology of Death and Dying. I don’t see a CC license on the page, but I found it in MERLOT. It has links to a lot of different resources.

Cheryl Cuillier, OER Coordinator

Main Library A207
University of Arizona

Tucson, AZ 85721

(520) 310-9874

ORCID: 0000-0002-6010-4405

Quill West

Oct 18, 2017, 1:37:01 PM10/18/17
to Amy Hofer, Open Textbook Network, sparc-...@arl.org, CCCOER Advisory
Hi Amy,
You might try Humanities Commons (hcommons.org). I searched death and dying in the initial page search (not so sophisticated a search... but I found a lot of articles and pages that might help in terms of using art in many forms to describe death/dying.)

It's not a sociological approach, but there seems to be some blending of psychology and social critique in some of the sources.

Amy Hofer

Oct 18, 2017, 1:38:34 PM10/18/17
to Cuillier, Cheryl A - (ccuillie), Open Textbook Network, sparc-...@arl.org, CCCOER Advisory
Thank you so much Cheryl! Amy

Amy Hofer

Oct 18, 2017, 1:38:57 PM10/18/17
to Quill West, Open Textbook Network, sparc-...@arl.org, CCCOER Advisory
Thank you Quill! Amy

Chris Adcock

Oct 18, 2017, 1:40:45 PM10/18/17
to Amy Hofer, Quill West, Open Textbook Network, sparc-...@arl.org, CCCOER Advisory
Here are a few resources in OER Commons:

From Yale Open Courses:

From The Open University:

(Sorry Amy, forgot to hit "Reply All" before.)