ESL resources

Kathleen DeLaurenti

Oct 2, 2017, 4:27:27 PM10/2/17
to SPARC Libraries & OER Forum
Hi all -

I'm sure this is well-trodden ground, but I wanted to reach out and
see what suggestions you have for some high quality OER for ESL
learners. My new institution focuses on conservatory style music
education; TOEFL scores are not necessarily as high for our
international grad students as they might be in other programs. I'm
working with our student affairs office to identify some additional
resources for our local community and I've been away from these kinds
of tools for a number of years.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Kathleen DeLaurenti
Head Librarian
Friedheim Library & Archives
The Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University

Jamison Miller

Oct 2, 2017, 5:10:03 PM10/2/17
to Kathleen DeLaurenti, SPARC Libraries & OER Forum
There's a project in its nascent form led by Lindsey Rothschild at Holyoke Community College is working with Brent Green at Salt Lake CC on ESL building off of OpenStax Sociology, I'm sure she'd love to discuss any leads with you.

And I'd love to hear back on anything else you turn up to connect to them!
Good luck,
Jamison

Jamison R. Miller | PhD Candidate | Technology Integration Center
The College of William and Mary | School of Education | 2071C
301 Monticello Ave | Williamsburg, VA 23185 | @millerjamison | jrmiller.us

Krysta McNutt

Oct 3, 2017, 3:58:43 PM10/3/17
to Jamison Miller, Kathleen DeLaurenti, SPARC Libraries & OER Forum
Hi Kathleen and others,

Two local colleges in Alberta, Canada developed an open textbook for CLB levels 5/6:

English language skills textbook to help ESL students acquire communication skills in the community (listening, speaking, reading, and writing) The book is aimed at CLB levels 5/6 focusing on intercultural skills and essential skills: reading text, document use, writing, oral communication, thinking skills, working with others, and computer use. These resources are also available on the Bow Valley College website: In the Community: An Intermediate Integrated Skills Textbook https://centre.bowvalleycollege.ca/tools/community-intermediate-integrated-skills-textbook

I'd be happy to connect you with the contacts I have from this project. Just let me know. Hope this is helpful!

--
Krysta McNutt, PMP
Open Education Project Manager

Community Lead, Alberta Open Education Community of Practice
Creative Commons Open Education Platform Member, CC-Canada

Join the UA Open Education Interest Group, hereLearn more about Open Education at the UofA, here

The University of Alberta is located on Treaty 6 territory, the territory of the Papaschase, and the homeland of the Métis Nation.

Grif Peterson

Oct 5, 2017, 4:20:59 PM10/5/17
to SPARC Libraries & OER Forum
Peer 2 Peer University has been working with adult literacy sites in New England this year to pilot face-to-face learning circles for adults who are on waiting lists to get into ESL classes. We've found that most sites are used to using USA Learns or paid services like Burlington English.

These aren't technically licensed as OER, but Voices of America, We are New York, and the US Government Citizenship Exam prep have all been great free resources for ESL discussion.

I'm really happy to hear that other folks are doing work in this field; we'd be happy to try piloting some of the resources mentioned earlier up in the thread.

-- Grif

Jamison R. Miller | PhD Candidate | Technology Integration Center
The College of William and Mary | School of Education | 2071C
301 Monticello Ave | Williamsburg, VA 23185 | @millerjamison | jrmiller.us

Amy Hofer

Oct 5, 2017, 5:45:22 PM10/5/17
to Grif Peterson, SPARC Libraries & OER Forum
Hi Kathleen,

This is what's being used at PCC in Oregon: http://openoregon.org/resources/?keyword=esol

FYI,
Amy

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/a/arl.org/group/sparc-liboer/.

--
Amy Hofer
Coordinator, Statewide Open Education Library Services

Linn-Benton Community College
6500 SW Pacific Blvd.
Albany, OR 97321