Impact of Contributions to LIS Profession Not Visible in Traditional Metrics

Megan Oakleaf

Jun 29, 2021, 8:54:48 AM6/29/21
to arl-a...@arl.org

ARL-Assess colleagues, this message is a bit self-serving, I'm afraid, but I've been advised to send it nonetheless.

I'm submitting my materials for promotion to full professor at the iSchool at Syracuse University. One of the more difficult areas of the promotion package is the "evidence of impact" section. Because I value our collective ability to contribute meaningfully to each other and our profession, I've aimed more of my academic output at professional conferences and white papers than at scholarly journal publications. As a result, my promotion case will not look like those of my iSchool colleagues who focus on areas other than libraries and publish almost exclusively in journals. Thus this section is a bit more challenging for me since it is harder to capture impact on practice when it's not necessarily reflected in a citation count.

I am permitted to include in my promotion packet comments from those who have used my work in some way (e.g., applying it to their practice, adding it to a reading list or syllabus, refuting it wholeheartedly as part of their own research agenda, etc.). If any of you have comments to share and are willing to allow me to submit them as evidence of impact, please email me those comments at moak...@syr.edu

I hate having to make this ask, so please accept my apologies in advance. I wish T&P functioned differently, or at least that we could develop an easier way to collect and communicate how valuable we all are to each other!

Megan Oakleaf
Associate Professor
Director of Online Student Engagement

iSchool
Syracuse University

343 Hinds Hall, Syracuse, NY 13244
ischool.syr.edu | moak...@syr.edu
www.meganoakleaf.info
she/her/hers

My working hours may not be your working hours.
Please do not feel obligated to reply outside of your normal work schedule.

working from Arapahoe, Cheyenne, and Ute land for an institution on Onondaga and Haudenosaunee land

Applegate, Rachel

Jun 29, 2021, 11:53:06 AM6/29/21
to arl-a...@arl.org

Generically, I would like to say that to ‘make T&P’ work differently is a worthy goal.

My university I’m proud to say has made a big leap in this direction

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2021/05/14/iupui-creates-path-promotion-and-tenure-based-dei-work

and one of our ‘to-dos’ for this coming academic year is to flesh out how one demonstrates ‘impact’ that is not the easy metrics of publications, citations, and grant $$$$.

If any readers are interested individually in this please feel free to contact me.  I have been talking to several universities about the general concept of a diversity-oriented case—mostly with my colleague Gina Gibau who is the greater expert on faculty diversity, but the ‘metrics’ part is a special concern of mine.

Rachel Applegate

Assistant Vice Chancellor for Faculty Affairs

Office of Academic Affairs

rapp...@iupui.edu

www.academicaffairs.iupui.edu

cidimage001.png@01D6BE62.93FCD0A0iupui-logo