Sharing data with staff

O'Mahony, Daniel

Feb 5, 2024, 2:09:03 PMFeb 5
to arl-a...@arl.org
Wondering about how libraries make the data files from your assessment surveys, etc. available to library staff, especially qualitative data (e.g., respondents' comments). Aside from summaries and syntheses and general presentations to staff, how and in what form do you share the "raw" data/comments with library staff (units and/or individuals)?

Do you have language that articulates your policy/practice?

Thanks for any suggestions.
-Dan

Daniel P. O'Mahony
Director of Library Planning & Assessment,
and Government Information Librarian
Brown University - Box A
John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library
10 Prospect Street - Room 123
Providence, Rhode Island 02912
Phone: 401-863-9445
Email: Daniel_O'Mah...@brown.edu
Email: d...@brown.edu

Becker, Louis Thacher

Feb 5, 2024, 2:21:06 PMFeb 5
to O'Mahony, Daniel, arl-a...@arl.org

Hi Daniel,

After our last round of large scale user surveys (using the misosurvey.org system), we coded the comments by theme. I then created documents which excerpted the anonymized comments relating to particular services and showed graphs and tables for quantitative questions relating to those comments. These documents were distributed to appropriate department heads. Summaries of comment themes and quantitative data from the entire study was made “explorable” by Libraries staff and faculty via PowerBI.  Data inside PowerBI was “raw” but anonymized and the presentation was built to avoid drilling down to combinations of demographics that contained fewer than 10 individuals. (This was done per our IRB requirements) Comments that called out particular librarians for praise were distributed to the librarian and their supervisor.

This isn’t a policy per se, but it seemed to work.  I’m interested to hear others’ practices.

Louis

Louis Becker
Assessment Programs Librarian and Assistant Professor

The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
306 Hodges Library
1015 Volunteer Blvd.
Knoxville, TN 37996

lbe...@utk.edu
Feb 12, 2024, 9:01:46 AMFeb 12
to O'Mahony, Daniel, arl-a...@arl.org

Hi Daniel,

I’ve done a similar thing as Louis (hi Louis!): for our respondent comments I make a pivot table in Excel (Excel calls these specific ones Slicers) to distribute internally.  Instructions can be found here

Like Louis, I code the comments by theme, then also allow users of the Comments Slicer to disaggregate by university affiliation (faculty/staff/undergrad/grad students), age range, associated college, etc. (whatever demographic items the survey has asked)

And, I also do send out the comments that name specific people by name or that are easy to figure out by title or building to those people and their supervisor, and I make sure to mention those comments in whatever meetings / presentations I give where my colleagues are because we call can use a boost!

Let me know if you want any more details or an example!

Take care,

Julene

Julene Jones

Director of Library Assessment and Organizational Effectiveness Librarian

University of Kentucky Libraries

Lexington, KY 40506-0456

julene...@uky.edu

Certified Mental Health First Aid Responder

Feb 12, 2024, 10:44:13 AMFeb 12
to Jones, Julene L., O'Mahony, Daniel, arl-a...@arl.org

Hey Daniel,

In the past we’ve done pretty much exactly what Julene and Louis did for our LibQUAL Lite survey results – code comments by theme and by positive/negative/constructive, then use those to illuminate the quantitative data. We didn’t disaggregate comments from university affiliation/designation, because that’s been helpful information when creating targeted responses to remediate bad scores/comments.

We also sent good comments to people by name to those people – they could share if they wished.

Tricia

Tricia Boucher (she/her)

Open Pedagogy / STEM Librarian

Alkek Library @ Texas State University

San Marcos, TX 78666

squi...@txstate.edu

512-408-4415

Make an appointment with me!

My working hours may not match yours.  Please only respond during your working hours.

CAUTION:. This email originated from outside the TXST network. Do not click links or download files unless you know the sender and content are safe.