Inside eLife: What it costs to publish

Emily Packer

Sep 6, 2016, 11:03:05 AM9/6/16
to SPARC OA Forum
[Apologies for cross-posting]

Hi all,

Of interest, eLife has published its 2015 annual report, detailing our costs of publishing versus those of our technology innovation and development.

Every year since 2012, eLife has published an annual report on activities along with our US Form 990 (required for our type of non-profit organisation) and our audited financial accounts. This year, we present a deeper view of our 2015 financials, covering publishing and non-publishing expenses.

As part of our ambition to change how science publishing works, especially among highly selective journals, we hope that being transparent about our costs will help set a future course for research communication that is efficient and sustainable.

eLife's Executive Director, Mark Patterson, and Head of External Relations, Jennifer McLennan, have written a blog post that provides further information about our costs. You can read the full piece here: https://elifesciences.org/elife-news/inside-elife-what-it-costs-publish.

Our 2015 annual report is also available to view here: https://2015.elifesciences.org.

Please let me know if you would like any further information.

Kind regards,

Emily

--

Emily Packer
Press Officer

+44 1223 855373 (office)

http://elifesciences.org

eLife Sciences Publications, Ltd is a limited liability non-profit non-stock corporation incorporated in the State of Delaware, USA, with company number 5030732, and is registered in the UK with company number FC030576 and branch number BR015634 at the address First Floor, 24 Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 1JP.