eLife supports development of open technology stack for publishing reproducible manuscripts online

Emily Packer

Sep 13, 2017, 11:40:37 AM9/13/17
to SPARC OA Forum

[With apologies for cross-posting]

Hi all,

eLife has today announced that, in collaboration with Substance and Stencila, we are supporting a project to create an open stack of tools for authoring, compiling and publishing computationally reproducible manuscripts online.

You may remember our announcement in July that eLife joined a consortium of organisations committed to supporting Substance, a JavaScript library of tools for web-based content editing. Now, we are working with Substance to create the Reproducible Document Stack: a set of tools and frameworks through which publishers can present computationally reproducible documents online and in full.

By the end of the project, eLife aims to have developed and published a working prototype of a reproducible document, demonstrating a complete end-to-end technology stack from authoring through to publication. The Reproducible Document Stack will ultimately allow authors to submit their manuscripts in a format that includes embedded code blocks and computed outputs, such as statistical results, tables and graphs. It will also enable publishers to preserve these assets in an enhanced version of the published online article.

Please see the full announcement for more information: https://elifesciences.org/for-the-press/e6038800/elife-supports-development-of-open-technology-stack-for-publishing-reproducible-manuscripts-online

You can also read more in our accompanying eLife Labs post: https://elifesciences.org/labs/7dbeb390/reproducible-document-stack-supporting-the-next-generation-research-article

For more information, or to speak with us further about this project, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Best wishes,

Emily

--

Emily Packer
Press Officer

+44 1223 855373 (office)

http://elifesciences.org

eLife Sciences Publications, Ltd is a limited liability non-profit non-stock corporation incorporated in the State of Delaware, USA, with company number 5030732, and is registered in the UK with company number FC030576 and branch number BR015634 at the address First Floor, 24 Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 1JP.