Issue 141 in antares: The game is showing a very dark screen in my window.

ant...@googlecode.com

Oct 22, 2014, 7:42:42 PM10/22/14
to antar...@arescentral.org
Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 141 by j12t...@aol.com: The game is showing a very dark screen in
my window.
https://code.google.com/p/antares/issues/detail?id=141

I am using a Macbook (2007) with Mac OS 10.6.8. The Antares window says the
version is 1.1.1 and the (About Antares Option) displays the version as
0.6.1(1). On any video setting, and in both window and full screen modes
the game launches as expected, but the images are almost completely
shadowed and dark. I can make out the main menu, but the opening sequence
looks like the screen is completely contrasted. The same goes for gameplay,
I cannot advance beyond the tutorial because I cannot see the instructions,
or the ship icons. Any suggestions?

issue notifications to this address.

ant...@googlecode.com

Oct 22, 2014, 9:34:26 PM10/22/14
to antar...@arescentral.org
Updates:
Owner: sfi...@sfzmail.com

Comment #1 on issue 141 by sfi...@sfzmail.com: The game is showing a very
Sorry, but I don't think I can help you. 0.6.1 is out-of-date, but I don't
have a machine that is capable of building new versions of Antares for 10.6
anymore (successive versions of Xcode have dropped support for building
for "old" machines).

I'm a little surprised, though. I had a 2007 (I think) Macbook that was my
development machine at the time. Could you post a screenshot?

ant...@googlecode.com

Oct 24, 2014, 7:56:47 AM10/24/14
to antar...@arescentral.org

Comment #2 on issue 141 by sfi...@sfzmail.com: The game is showing a very
Issue 142 has been merged into this issue.

ant...@googlecode.com

Oct 24, 2014, 8:01:19 AM10/24/14
to antar...@arescentral.org
Updates:

Comment #3 on issue 141 by sfi...@sfzmail.com: The game is showing a very
Interesting. Note that the darkness isn't the only problem with the
graphics. In-game, you can see a bunch of the long-range sprites (squares,
triangles) on the left, where they're supposed to be covered by the
instrument panel. I think that the way that was handled back in 0.6.1
wasn't well-supported on all graphics cards, which is why I changed it. So,
the darkness is probably another thing that's related to the particular
graphics card in your machine.

Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestion about how to proceed, and I'm
unable to get you a newer version of Antares, so I'm going to close this
out. Sorry :(

You can skip the tutorial by pressing ESC then S. The non-tutorial levels
are maybe more playable.