Request for Comments: pluggable discovery

Alessandro Ranellucci

Mar 31, 2021, 11:55:05 AM3/31/21
to Developers
Hello!

We've just published a Request For Comments about a major refactoring of the Arduino tools (IDE and arduino-cli) aimed at supporting more boards and scenarios thanks to increased modularity and expandability. We call this "pluggable discovery": it's about supporting more upload methods in addition to the serial port, thanks to the ability to write additional plugins that implement board discovery and upload. This will make it possible to support network upload (MDNS/OTA), USB-HID or other communication protocols.

The RFC containing the proposed specification is published in GitHub in the form of a Pull Request so that everyone can comment:
https://github.com/arduino/tooling-rfcs/pull/2

(We're experimenting with RFCs as a structured approach to gather consensus from the community around major changes.)

Please take the time to read the proposal and provide your feedback. :)

 - Alessandro

Ashutosh Pandey

Mar 31, 2021, 1:09:56 PM3/31/21
to Developers, Alessandro Ranellucci
This seems really cool! Will definitely spend the weekend reading up and trying to provide useful feedback. RFCs seem like a great idea. I was wondering if posting this message to the Arduino forum also would be a good idea, since there's lots of people there too.