Official HID Joystick libraries?

Robert Ely

Feb 26, 2015, 12:39:01 PM2/26/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
Hey guys,

I posted this on the forum first but have since realized that was not the correct place.

The Arduino has official mouse and keyboard libraries, and I was wondering why there is no similar joy stick library.
  • Is there a technical reason?
  • Just hasn't been written yet? (In that case, is a pull request welcome?)
  • Is there some other reason for not implementation this?
This has been done before: http://www.imaginaryindustries.com/blog/?p=80 but his implementation has a conflict with the most recent release version. I'm cleaning it up and I figured whilst i'm doing so I would make it a little more idiomatic and submit a pull.

I was just wondering what reason if any it wasn't official. I think a lot of people would benefit from this interface, and i'd like to help make it easier to implement if possible.

Tom Igoe

Feb 26, 2015, 1:07:48 PM2/26/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
It’s never been written, to my knowledge. Having one that’s compatible with the current Keyboard/Mouse, and in a similar style, would be handy. Wouldn’t be the top of my personal priority list, but I imagine many gamers would like it.

t.

Robert Ely

Feb 26, 2015, 5:04:27 PM2/26/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
I think so as well.
Unfortunately it's not a simple library. It requires modification to the usb stack, additional descriptors, probably modification of the CDC definitions (I've never worked with composite devices, so that's new to me..)
I had hopes some of the original authors would be online to chat about it. Specifically zeveland or cmaglie.

_Rob

Taylor Alexander

Feb 26, 2015, 6:11:31 PM2/26/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
I'm going to want this for the SAM chips pretty soon, as I'm making a nice joystick shield now. I'll probably get some of my backers on it in the next six months. My plan is to encourage sales by making 3D printable products based on my board, so I have plans for a force feedback steering wheel and joystick, and I am already making a PS3-like gamepad.

Nevada Smith

Feb 27, 2015, 8:58:45 AM2/27/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
Sure it is possible. They are just to busy to include so many improvements of the USB core at once. So you can use my HID Project.
Also works for Arduino UNO and Mega. Compatible with IDE 1.6.x

https://github.com/NicoHood/HID
https://github.com/NicoHood/HoodLoader2

Here is an example project:
https://nicohood.wordpress.com/2015/02/10/diy-gamecube-to-usb-pc-adapter-with-arduino/

For any questions ask me via my blog, section contact:
www.nicohood.de

The only thing I am wondering about is why you did not find this via google. The project now is so popular I am wondering what keywords you typed in...