External Oscillator Support

Wayne Holder

Apr 14, 2018, 6:02:56 PM4/14/18
to Arduino Developers
I'm planning to publish an Arduino-based project that requires using an external TCXO to get a particular precision frequency.  In the old days, I would go modify the boards.txt file and add an new entry for this and then document what I did so others that might wish to copy project could to the same.  However, in age of the Boards Manager, the location of the files that have to be edited are not obvious and also easy from OS to OS.  Plus, since these files are designed to be automatically updated by the Boards Manager  it seems unwise to directly change them.

It would seem that the new way of doing things requires me to create and publish a new JSON file for the board configuration my project needs, so I've been reading over the info at:

but this overview is rather sparse in places and doesn't seem to cover all the steps needed to create a publish a new board configuration to GitHub, or discuss other features, such as how to create lists of options (clock speed, etc.) for a particular processor, as I've seen done in the add ins such "DIY ATtiny".  Is there additional documentation I should also review?  Or, ideally, is there a simpler way to do what I want to do?

Wayne

per1234

Apr 14, 2018, 11:06:30 PM4/14/18
to Developers
However, in age of the Boards Manager, the location of the files that have to be edited are not obvious and also easy from OS to OS.  Plus, since these files are designed to be automatically updated by the Boards Manager  it seems unwise to directly change them.

I agree. It's better to create your own hardware package rather than making changes to an installed package that will be lost at every update.

It would seem that the new way of doing things requires me to create and publish a new JSON file for the board configuration my project needs, so I've been reading over the info at:

Not at all required. Boards Manager only provides an easier option for people to install hardware packages. The old manual installation method of copying the package to the hardware subfolder of the sketchbook folder is still available if you don't want to offer Boards Manager support.

I welcome any specific suggestions for improvement.

and doesn't seem to cover all the steps needed to create a publish a new board configuration to GitHub

I suggested that information be added when the document was being written but it was decided it was too specific to be appropriate. I left the information I had originally written on that in the Playground page which preceded the specification:
http://playground.arduino.cc/Main/BoardsManagerSupport

such as how to create lists of options (clock speed, etc.) for a particular processor, as I've seen done in the add ins such "DIY ATtiny".  Is there additional documentation I should also review?

That information is off-topic for the Arduino IDE 1.6.x package_index.json format specification wiki page. It's in the hardware specification page:
https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/wiki/Arduino-IDE-1.5-3rd-party-Hardware-specification#custom-board-menus

I'd be happy to provide more assistance with your project but I prefer to talk on the Arduino forum.