No Zero Support for in 1.6.5

Wayne Holder

Jun 15, 2015, 11:18:22 AM6/15/15
to Arduino Developers
I just downloaded and installed the new 1.6.5 on my Mac, but the Boards menu does not show an angry for the Zero.  I tried opening the Boards Manager, but this only lists the Due under the SAM support section.  I have a new Zero board that I just received plugged in and ready to go, but can;t seem to use it.  What am I missing?

Wayne

Federico Fissore

Jun 15, 2015, 11:42:06 AM6/15/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
It looks like you and David are experiencing the same issue.
See https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/issues/3339

Federico

Federico Fissore

Jun 15, 2015, 12:09:39 PM6/15/15
to devel...@arduino.cc

For David, it was somewhat related to a cache issue. Try opening the package json file directly on safari and then reopen the ide

Tom Igoe

Jun 15, 2015, 12:26:04 PM6/15/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
I had the same problem at first too. Then I realized I was just updating the wrong board definition.

t.

On Jun 15, 2015, at 12:09 PM, Federico Fissore <f.fi...@arduino.cc> wrote:

For David, it was somewhat related to a cache issue. Try opening the package json file directly on safari and then reopen the ide

Wayne Holder

Jun 15, 2015, 1:46:07 PM6/15/15
to Arduino Developers
I've tried removing the ~/Library/Arduino15 and then let the 1.6.5 build recreate it, but still no Zero selection (there was nothing set in the URL in preferences when I did this.)  If I open the Boards Manager, I can see an option for the Due under the SAM options, but I don't see the Zero listed anywhere.  I've also tried downloading the app's .zip folder again.  Here's a screen shot of what I see when I open the Boards Manager in 1.6.5 on the Mac:

Inline image 1

Notice that only the Due is listed in the SAM section...  Frankly, I stumped and I don't even know where to begin looking to try and diagnose the problem,  So, some questions:

1. Should I have expected to see the Zero listed just by downing the new 1.6.5 IDE, or am I expected to run the Boards Manager to obtain support for the Zero?  If I'm expected to download something using the Boards Manager, do I leave the uRL in preferences blank, or should I put something there?

2. As I was previously running 1.6.4, do I need to uninstall something, or some folder before installing 1.6.5.

3. Where in the folder hierarchy should I expect to see files for the Zero show up?  It's very confusing with the new Boards Manager because I also have other hardware folders around left over from older IDE installs.  Note: I also tried removing as many of these as I could find, but I still can't the Zero selection to show up.

Wayne

Federico Fissore

Jun 16, 2015, 1:56:38 AM6/16/15
to devel...@arduino.cc

> 1. Should I have expected to see the Zero listed just by downing the new
> 1.6.5 IDE, or am I expected to run the Boards Manager to obtain support
> for the Zero? If I'm expected to download something using the Boards
> Manager, do I leave the uRL in preferences blank, or should I put
> something there?

You are expected to download zero support from downloads manager and no,
you don't need to type anything in the additional url field in preferences

> 2. As I was previously running 1.6.4, do I need to uninstall something,
> or some folder before installing 1.6.5.

On windows the installer takes care of that. If you're used to use the
zip file, you don't need to delete anything from the previous IDE folder

> 3. Where in the folder hierarchy should I expect to see files for the
> Zero show up? It's very confusing with the new Boards Manager because I
> also have other hardware folders around left over from older IDE
> installs. Note: I also tried removing as many of these as I could find,
> but I still can't the Zero selection to show up.

It's not a matter of what files you left over, it's a network problem:
somehow (and that's the real conundrum) you can't download the file
stored on our servers, which contains zero support

Can we close this topic and move the conversation to github?

https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/issues/3339

Regards

Federico

Federico Fissore

Jun 16, 2015, 1:59:22 AM6/16/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
Federico Fissore ha scritto il 16/06/2015 alle 07:56:

> Can we close this topic and move the conversation to github?
>
> https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/issues/3339

You already did so, thank you :)

Federico

Wayne Holder

Jun 16, 2015, 3:42:41 AM6/16/15
to Arduino Developers
Actually, I finally found the answer in the response by D Mellis that points out that the package_index.json file that's built into Mac version of the 1.6.5 IDE doesn't have support for SAMD / Arduino Zero in it.  I was able to manually insert a fixed version of this file into the App using "Show Package Contents" and this seems to fix most issues.  So, I think this needs to be fixed in the current build or other Mac users are going to see a repeat of the problems I had.

Wayne

Peter Feerick

Jun 16, 2015, 5:26:27 AM6/16/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
Hi Wayne,

I don't think that is the root cause of this problem. The Board Manager should be checking the arduino.cc server ever time you open it for a new version of the package_index.json (or is it just dumb and downloading every time - I think so...) , and thus this file *should* have been updated when you ran it the first time after installing 1.6.5, and you should then have the option of installing the Arduino SAMD Boards package.  For instance, I initially only saw the Arduino AVR Boards (Built-in), Arduino SAM Boards (Arduino Due) packages and the two Intel board packages when I first started it, and once the downloading platforms index messages had vanished from the progress bar at the bottom, the Arduino SAMD (Arduino Zero) package had been added. I just clicked on install and it is working its way through the install, so for me at least this doesn't seem to be a problem.

Running on Windows 7 SP1 x64, no gremlins found so far, love the new editor - turned code folding and line numbers on immediately!

Pete