Making importing .ZIP files more git(hub) friendly

geert.roumen

Mar 24, 2016, 3:34:09 PM3/24/16
to Developers
Hey all,

Since we can use the import .zip function in Arduino, importing zips became a lot easier for the user, thanks a lot for that; however importing zips from github don't work out of the box (usually because there is the *-master in the end). It is not only that people are downloading zip files directly from github, but also bigger websites (as adafruit industries) are referring to those generated zip's. See https://learn.adafruit.com/i31fl3731-16x9-charliplexed-pwm-led-driver/wiring-and-test , all the learn sections from adafruit industries use this way of referring to libraries.

mylibrary-master.zip>
mylibrary-master>
mylibrary.cpp
mylibrary.h
examples>
 test>
test.ino

My proposal would be:

If the software would get a zip where there is a *-master in the end and all those stars have the same content; *-master.zip>*-master>*.cpp, than it would be fait to assume that it is a zipped Arduino library from an git(hub) source.

I'm happy to hear what you think about it ;)

Thanks

David Cervantes Caballero

Apr 7, 2016, 12:12:48 PM4/7/16
to Developers
Hello!

This can be solve. I have this problem when try to add new libraries from git(hub). Usually I have to rename by hand to remove non-ascii characters as I show in: http://scidle.com/install-github-libraries-on-arduino-ide/

I'm thinking in modifying the Arduino software to solve this problem. As I read in the  README.md file from https://github.com/arduino/Arduino  first I should comment in here.
I'll be glad to contribute if any developer agree.

Thanks!

Peter Rosenberg

Jun 10, 2016, 5:37:40 AM6/10/16
to Developers
Perfect would be to also consider release zip files from GitHub of type LibraryName-x.z.y.zip.