New IDE feature suggestion: Integrate functions help

Marco Campos

Dec 11, 2017, 11:31:02 AM12/11/17
to Developers
Hi,

Arduino is undoubtedly also an educational platform.

As such it would be very nice to facilitate the access to information like functions() description/sintaxe. I've attached a picture as an example to help visualize.

Thank you.
Arduino IDE - sugestão #1.png

Holger Lembke

Dec 11, 2017, 1:30:42 PM12/11/17
to devel...@arduino.cc
Looks great.

From educational viewpoint ("Lets become waterproof c++coder!") I would prefer a solution with "right click and look into the source file". What is "HIGH" or "INPUT_PULLUP"? Where is it defined and what is near it? This is, as far as I see, the more "how it works in an IDE" solution for a programmer (and not this additional written book stile explanation, because the source explains itself. :-)

I feel that this might be the next logical step when autocomplete is done.

(I love the visual studio commenting style with ///<summary> etc.)

Ricardo JL Rufino

Dec 11, 2017, 1:43:40 PM12/11/17
to devel...@arduino.cc
I did this implementation, along with autocomplete a while ago

I do not know if it is within the planning of incorporation, to include these functionalities.

Docs:

Sintaxe erro's

Andrew Kroll

Dec 11, 2017, 2:13:27 PM12/11/17
to Arduino Developers
@Ricardo
Excellent! But then, I already have this feature with netbeans.
Still, this would be a welcome addition.

kpe...@blinksoft.com

Dec 11, 2017, 2:30:53 PM12/11/17
to devel...@arduino.cc

Being that it is an educational platform we need to get the accessibility finished.  One of our developers just added accessibility to the preferences but our main problem now is the accessibility of the board manager, library manager, and things that use that table.  I hope to be able to have one of our developers work on this but if anyone has time to add the accessible renderer functions to that table it would help those of us out here that are blind greatly.

Also things like the transparent about box are not accessible.  So for example the update manager is a problem, the toast that shows there are updates are not fully accessible.

One way to know something is not accessible is if you can’t do it by keyboard.  Without touch or mouse.  It definitely will not work with accessibility software.

Ken

Marco Campos

Dec 12, 2017, 10:03:30 AM12/12/17
to Developers, ric...@criativasoft.com.br
Hi Ricardo,

This is very good work!

From a newbie standpoint I'd like to see something like show the yellow sticker/help with a simple mouse hovering on top of the function, and have the sticker in yellow like a "note". The autocomplete is also very nice.

Everything help is very good (very PRO). I like it! Try to make the video in english to help spread your work.

Thank you for you work!

Best regards,
Marco.

On Monday, 11 December 2017 18:43:40 UTC, Ricardo JL Rufino wrote:
I did this implementation, along with autocomplete a while ago

I do not know if it is within the planning of incorporation, to include these functionalities.

Docs:

Sintaxe erro's

Looks great.

From educational viewpoint ("Lets become waterproof c++coder!") I would prefer a solution with "right click and look into the source file". What is "HIGH" or "INPUT_PULLUP"? Where is it defined and what is near it? This is, as far as I see, the more "how it works in an IDE" solution for a programmer (and not this additional written book stile explanation, because the source explains itself. :-)

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 5:23 PM, Marco Campos <marcoal...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

Arduino is undoubtedly also an educational platform.

As such it would be very nice to facilitate the access to information like functions() description/sintaxe. I've attached a picture as an example to help visualize.

Thank you.

Luca Cipriani

Dec 12, 2017, 11:08:00 AM12/12/17
to devel...@arduino.cc
We do have autocompiler and syntax error as well in our Beta version of the IDE, you can download it from: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software Below an image.

LucaInline image 1

Luca Cipriani

CIO - Cloud Business Manager
https://www.arduino.cc
@mastrolinux

Tom Igoe

Dec 12, 2017, 11:44:08 AM12/12/17
to Arduino Developers
Probably a good idea for that pop-up to use the variable types from the API, or switch everything over to the c standard types so users don't struggle to figure out what size_t and so forth mean.

Marco Campos

Dec 12, 2017, 11:57:15 AM12/12/17
to Developers

Yes... keep in mind the original post was about educational, aka newbies, not C++ PROs :)

Tom Igoe

Dec 12, 2017, 2:20:12 PM12/12/17
to Arduino Developers
Yes, I'm in agreement you on that for sure.