Reduce arduino installation size by 50% (windows , non admin install)

soundararajan dhakshinamoorthy

Jul 2, 2015, 6:31:39 AM7/2/15
to devel...@arduino.cc, Natarajan...@atmel.com
Hi,

The Arduino IDE distribution (non admin) zip file for windows is currently 140 MB. In a sincere attempt to reduce it's size, I evaluated creating a self extracting executable using a LZMA compression tool (7z). The resultant size of arduino IDE is 62 MB.

Since this is self extracting executable, the user don't need any extra tools to use in his machine. He can just double click and ask to extract to a folder.

How to do it:

2. Extract and run the command as mentioned here with the arduino root folder as input.

Hope you are as excited as i am :-). Let me know if you are :-)

Thanks
Soundararajan

Rob Tillaart

Jul 2, 2015, 3:37:06 PM7/2/15
to Arduino Developers
I do not download unverified executables but that said it sound like a good idea to use this as not everyone has broadband

Federico Fissore

Jul 3, 2015, 3:07:26 AM7/3/15
to devel...@arduino.cc, Natarajan...@atmel.com
Thank you Soundararajan

Would you like to try integrating this into build.xml? Please remind
that it has to work on linux and mac too (a linux user must be able to
pack a windows IDE)

Thank you in advance

Regards

Federico

soundararajan dhakshinamoorthy ha scritto il 26/06/2015 alle 19:06:
> Hi,
>
> The Arduino IDE distribution (non admin) zip file for windows is
> currently*140 MB*. In a sincere attempt to reduce it's size, I evaluated
> creating a self extracting executable using a LZMA compression tool
> (7z). The resultant size of arduino IDE is *62 MB. *
> Voila
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8QHhrwntICaWEs5SFhEVC14OTg&authuser=0.

soundararajan dhakshinamoorthy

Jul 5, 2015, 3:12:33 AM7/5/15
to devel...@arduino.cc, Natarajan...@atmel.com

sure, federico, i will make the changes so that it works for all OS, and send it out for review.

Thanks,
soundararajan