Contributing to the Arduino IDE

Joshua Daly

Feb 11, 2015, 6:57:20 AM2/11/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
Hi,

I'm interested in contributing to the Arduino's IDE (Java front end), I have spent the past 3 years as the lead open source developer for the RPGToolkit. As is the nature with open source development I want to move on to new and exciting projects. The Arduino project seems fitting as I have used various versions (MEGA and Uno) across multiple degree level projects. I am skilled in both C/C++ and Java.

One idea that I have considered is a class and function level browser like those found at the top of Visual Studio's Code Editor (drop down combo boxes), when writing sketches in excess of 500+ lines I find it difficult to locate function declarations without having to either use find or scroll up and down several times. I implemented this functionality for the RPGToolkit's custom code editor using regular expressions etc.

Committing to open source projects has the advantage of keeping my programming skills sharp, so I enjoy it.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Randy Ferrell

Feb 13, 2015, 5:42:23 PM2/13/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
Hi Joshua

I am interested in designing a board to reset arduino fuses and could you be of help with fermware. I am an electronics engineer of 30 years I have designed hardware for Maytag, NASA, Bowing, Airbus, and dozens of others If interested please contact me..

Matthew Ford

Feb 13, 2015, 5:46:19 PM2/13/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
Mine reset all the time by themselves,
check out the specs on the part listed on the Uno schematic.
matthew

Matthew Ford

Feb 13, 2015, 5:51:43 PM2/13/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
Actually the datasheet does not really explain what happens
check out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resettable_fuse
instead

matthew

Joshua Daly

Feb 16, 2015, 2:21:55 PM2/16/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
I've decided to start with fixing some of the current issues reported by the user community to get familiar with the source code. It was nice and easy to get up and running via NetBeans on Ubuntu, so I've started investigating reports.