Sub Menu for Boards by Platform

Rick Anderson

Mar 7, 2016, 11:04:41 AM3/7/16
to Arduino Developer's List

Right now my board menu is crazy long. I searched the issue list and didn't see anything come up about having a submenu by platform instead of the long list.

Is this something people want?

When I add the Teensy software it adds those menus to Arduino IDE so it should be pretty possible. I did it in the old MPIDE project way back.

So it is possible.

--Rick

William Westfield

Mar 9, 2016, 4:01:21 PM3/9/16
to devel...@arduino.cc
> I searched the issue list and didn't see anything come up about having a submenu by platform instead of the long list.
>
> Is this something people want?

It’s sort of a toss-up. The 1.6.x infrastructure allows you to make sub-menus, but that adds substantial complexity for beginners, and for people helping beginners. I used sub-menus for the optiboot additions, on the (probably bad) assumption that anyone installing a different bootloader wouldn’t be confused, but needing to add the “which processor and cpu speed did you select” to the “which board” question is potentially frustrating.

BillW/WestfW