Arduino Libraries Git-Hub

Victor Aprea

Apr 1, 2015, 9:20:52 AM4/1/15
to Arduino Developers
Hey all,

I've noticed some Git-Hub activity in recent days on Arduino Libraries, that may or may not be correlated.

1. I noticed the existence of https://github.com/arduino-libraries. Not sure how long that's been around, but it seems to be active and contributed to by the Federico so that gives it some air of official-ness in my mind. There are libraries under this repository that don't actually appear to ship with Arduino in it's libraries folder though, at least as of Arduino 1.6.0, e.g. CapacitiveSensor. Now I'm torn as to whether I should be linking my projects (i.e. in their README.md) to that repo or this one. Which one is going to be maintained?

2. I've noticed some repositories I follow have been creating / updating a file called library.properties in their root folders. If there was some general announcement that spurred this activity, I must have missed it. I seem to remember some talk about this file a long time ago (like over a year ago) on the list. Is there some imminent plans for this file to actually be used for something? I suspect the recent activity I observed on Git-Hub is connected to some edits made to the Arduino Library Specification document recently?

Can anyone from the Arduino Team give us a heads up on what's going on regarding Libraries so that there's less catching up to do later?

Kind Regards,
Vic

Victor Aprea // Wicked Device

Federico Fissore

Apr 1, 2015, 10:07:27 AM4/1/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
Hi Victor

I'll be short as tomorrow I will write a more formal announcement

Victor Aprea ha scrito il 01/04/2015 alle 15:20:
> Hey all,
>
> I've noticed some Git-Hub activity in recent days on Arduino Libraries,
> that may or may not be correlated.
>
> 1. I noticed the existence of https://github.com/arduino-libraries. Not

It's been around for a while but never really used

> sure how long that's been around, but it seems to be active and
> contributed to by the Federico so that gives it some air of
> official-ness in my mind. There are libraries under this repository that
> don't actually appear to ship with Arduino in it's libraries folder
> though, at least as of Arduino 1.6.0, e.g. CapacitiveSensor. Now I'm
> torn as to whether I should be linking my projects (i.e. in their
> README.md) to that repo
> <https://github.com/arduino-libraries/CapacitiveSensor> or this one
> <https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/CapacitiveSensor>. Which one is going
> to be maintained?

I'll leave that to Cristian

> 2. I've noticed some repositories I follow have been creating / updating
> a file called library.properties in their root folders. If there was
> some general announcement that spurred this activity, I must have missed
> it. I seem to remember some talk about this file a long time ago (like
> over a year ago) on the list. Is there some imminent plans for this file
> to actually be used for something? I suspect the recent activity I
> observed on Git-Hub is connected to some edits made to the Arduino
> Library Specification
> <https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/wiki/Arduino-IDE-1.5:-Library-specification>
> document recently?

library.properties is part of 1.5 library specification you linked and
it's a key file for allowing the IDE to understand which kind of lib is
dealing with (old or new)

This is related to the recent release of IDE 1.6.2 and the upcoming 1.6.3

I've just pushed two related FAQs:
https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/wiki/Library-Manager-FAQ
https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/wiki/Boards-Manager-FAQ

Some more formal detail tomorrow. Again sorry for the delay, but due to
the recent flow of issues after 1.6.2 release, we've been quite busy
fixing them

Federico

Paul Stoffregen

Apr 3, 2015, 6:29:37 AM4/3/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
On 04/01/2015 06:20 AM, Victor Aprea wrote:
e.g. CapacitiveSensor. Now I'm torn as to whether I should be linking my projects (i.e. in their README.md) to that repo or this one. Which one is going to be maintained?

Regarding CapacitiveSensor, my repository should probably be used.  The copy on Arduino's repository has an older port to Arduino Due, with only some of the macros converted to native I/O.  My copy uses fully native I/O on Due, and it also supports more boards.