Arduino Developers online summit #1

Massimo Banzi

May 21, 2018, 12:28:13 PM5/21/18
to Arduino Developers
Hello All

At Maker Faire I’ve announced the first Arduino Developers online summit with the objective to better organise the way the open source community collaborates on Arduino.

We will organise a number of online summits culminating in an-person meeting of stakeholders Thursday Oct 11 in Rome (Just before maker faire Rome)

We’re doing a lot of work to maintain Arduino, port it to different platforms, we are creating a lot of different tools that will improve the developer experience and we feel that if there was more coordination we can all work less and get more done.

A year ago I talked about 6 different projects that could push the project forward (Project Chainsaw, ArduinoAPI, Arduino Pre-Processor, Arduino Library format, Scheduler, Debugging) and we’re making big progress on these project and more to the point that we are ready to open the repos for you to have a look, provide feedback and collaborate.
On top of this we’re aiming to launch Arduino IDE 2.0 by the end of the year.

There is a lot to coordinate, decisions to be made etc we want to have better ways to discuss you all.

This summit is the first step. We’ll start small , involving more and more people at each step of the way.
Our conferencing system (at the moment) has a limit of 25 people and that seems a size that is small enough that we can begin a productive conversation aiming to expand the reach at each future summit.

Please register here (http://bit.ly/ArduinoDevSummit01 ) and we’ll email you the details of how to join the conversation.
The first event is scheduled for Tue June 19 2018 at 6pm EU time (we can fine tune the time based on who is going to attend)

Let us know!

Massimo on behalf of the Arduino Team

PS: These are the rules of the house we’re going to adopt during the summit, If you have comments let me know
(Draft version 1, we'll improve them later):
* We're meeting to better organise the community efforts around the Arduino open source software platform and to improve the way we work for the benefit of the community.
* This is open to anybody who is contributing to the development of Arduino regardless of gender, race or anything else as long as they are actually contributing.
* We won't accept any : personal attack, name calling, belitteling, bigotry, harassment, inappropriate language etc.
* Life is short, time flies and we all have a life so we must be coincise and keep the conversation on topic.
* We will concentrate on the Arduino C++ based framework and topics like: how to improve it , how to better coordinate between different implementations of it , etc .
* We won't discuss topics like: "You should abandon Arduino and just use famework X I invented which is much better", "C++ is dead we must switch to [lisp | rust | haskell | python | javascript | ruby | occam | *] ", Bikeshedding on minutia,
* Be articulate: Saying that something is crap is not an accepted form of criticism, if you can't articulate what needs to be improved then shut up.
* Arduino was developed following some principles of simplicity. please do not propose we complete revolutionise something that is being successfully used by milions of people unless you have a great suggestion that can improve people's life.
--
Massimo Banzi

Jim Leonard

May 21, 2018, 12:40:41 PM5/21/18
to devel...@arduino.cc
Can the conferences be streamed/stored so that other people can listen in/watch it after the fact?

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 06:28:05PM +0200, Massimo Banzi wrote:
> [...]
> * We will concentrate on the Arduino C++ based framework and topics like: how to improve it , how to better coordinate between different implementations of it , etc .
> * We won't discuss topics like: "You should abandon Arduino and just use famework X I invented which is much better", "C++ is dead we must switch to [lisp | rust | haskell | python | javascript | ruby | occam | *] ", Bikeshedding on minutia,
> * Be articulate: Saying that something is crap is not an accepted form of criticism, if you can't articulate what needs to be improved then shut up.
> * Arduino was developed following some principles of simplicity. please do not propose we complete revolutionise something that is being successfully used by milions of people unless you have a great suggestion that can improve people's life.

q2dg2b

Jul 22, 2018, 3:09:43 PM7/22/18
to Developers
It seems no