Option to save hex files.

Arnav Gupta

Jan 22, 2015, 2:46:57 PM1/22/15
to devel...@arduino.cc

Just uploaded this pull request
https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/pull/2567

It adds option to save the hex/bin file generated. Files are saved per-platform (as illustrated in screenshot, I have saved once with target = UNO and once with target = Fio ).

The save option can be triggered on keyboard by Ctrl + Shit + R, as well.

Please check out, and share views

=======================================
  Arnav Gupta (championswimmer)
  LinkedIn | Web | Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Github

saveHEX.png

Tom Igoe

Jan 22, 2015, 2:53:05 PM1/22/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
Neat function, good idea. Messy key combo though (sorry, that’s juvenile, couldn’t resist)

t.

<saveHEX.png>

Arnav Gupta

Jan 22, 2015, 2:56:22 PM1/22/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
Ctrl + S, and Ctrl + Shift + S is already taken.

Changing the key combo should be a 1 letter or 1 line change in code. Whatever the consensus is on :)

=======================================
  Arnav Gupta (championswimmer)
  LinkedIn | Web | Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Github

Tom Igoe

Jan 22, 2015, 3:01:18 PM1/22/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
I was joking, referring to your typo.  I think some variation of S makes sense, though, what about ctrl-option-S? (or alt?) Would that work across all platforms?

I don’t have a strong objection to R personally, but my first thought with R is run. Any other opinions?

t.

David Freitag

Jan 22, 2015, 4:07:56 PM1/22/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
You should also add a menu option to upload a specific hex file, such as an "Upload..." button that prompts with a file chooser. I'm not sure what shortcut you'd use, perhaps Ctrl+Alt+U.

Arnav Gupta

Jan 22, 2015, 4:12:31 PM1/22/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
Yeah already working on that. That'll go in a separate pull req. Soon-ish

=======================================
  Arnav Gupta (championswimmer)
  LinkedIn | Web | Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Github

David Mellis

Jan 22, 2015, 5:07:10 PM1/22/15
to Arduino Developer's List
A couple of small comments... the upload functions have been in the File menu for a long time. It might be a good idea to move them to the Sketch menu, but it's not necessarily required in order to add the option to save hex files. Also, if they do move, I'd suggest putting them after Verify / Compile, since that's the order they happen in.

Arnav Gupta

Jan 22, 2015, 5:12:29 PM1/22/15
to devel...@arduino.cc

Verify/Compile
Upload
Upload with Programmer
Compile and Save Hex

or

Verify
Compile and Save Hex
Upload
Upload with Programmer

Arnav Gupta
( http://championswimmer.in )
Sent from Android.
Pardon brevity and/or autocorrect errors.

David Mellis

Jan 22, 2015, 5:25:15 PM1/22/15
to Arduino Developer's List
Is the output a hex file on every platform? If not, we might want to use a different word, like "Binary" or "Compiled Binary". Also, I like "Export" better than "Save". I would say:

Verify / Compile
Upload
Upload Using Programmer
Export Compiled Binary

I think it's good to put the option to export the hex file last. When it comes earlier and with a name like "Compile and Save Hex", I think it could be interpreted as a necessary step in the upload process (i.e. you compile and save the hex file, and then upload it). "Verify / Compile" and "Upload" are fundamental operations that all users use all the time (although many probably use the toolbar, not the menu). Exporting the hex file is an advanced / rarer option.

Arnav Gupta

Jan 22, 2015, 5:59:31 PM1/22/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
Cool !

I'll update accordingly.

Thanks for the review and suggestions

=======================================
  Arnav Gupta (championswimmer)
  LinkedIn | Web | Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Github

Paul Stoffregen

Jan 22, 2015, 8:19:38 PM1/22/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
I'd like to propose also saving the .elf file together with the .hex file.

Traditional tools like AVRDUDE have no use for the .elf file, but in the (perhaps distant) future as tools grow in sophistication and our programming interfaces gain debug functionality, having the symbol table available could be very valuable.

Of course, this could be added later.  I just like to think about the future.  Getting users used to the idea of exporting/saving 2 files, one with only data and another with extra info could really pay off later.

Arnav Gupta

Jan 22, 2015, 10:02:54 PM1/22/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
Updated. Check screenshot.
Thanks everyone for the feedback :)

=======================================
  Arnav Gupta (championswimmer)
  LinkedIn | Web | Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Github

saveHex2.png

Arnav Gupta

Jan 28, 2015, 9:25:18 AM1/28/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
Any other suggestions guys ?

  Arnav Gupta (championswimmer)
  LinkedIn | Web | Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Github

Peter Feerick

Jan 28, 2015, 9:42:12 PM1/28/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
Hi Arnav,

Nothing from me. What you've got there looks great to me. That plus the future upload from compiled binary are two welcome additions to the Arduino IDE.

Cheers
Peter