Behavior of using Arduino from command line on Windows

John D

Mar 21, 2016, 8:15:14 AM3/21/16
to Developers
Hi,
I'm using Arduino IDE on Windows.
I wanted to start using the tools using command line (verify & upload).

On docs ( https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/blob/ide-1.5.x/build/shared/manpage.adoc )
it says:
"Note that on Windows, due to the difference between GUI and console apps,
that the arduino_debug.exe is the appropriate executable to use if you want
 to use the majority of these command line options."

So I used arduino_debug.exe but I still get errors as message boxes, not as print to console.
e.g
> arduino_debug.exe --verify no_such_file.ino

From my check, the call to BaseNoGui.showError
ends up in GUIUserNotifier.showError
(I didnt debug, just changed the title and recompiled)

Is this by design (since also called by IDE), or a bug that should be fixed ?

Thanks for your help.

Carlos Pereira

Mar 22, 2016, 3:34:03 AM3/22/16
to Developers
The Arduino CLI needs a window environment and are they are not planning to fix it:
https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/issues/1970
https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/issues/3515