Arduino DUE schematic Revamp

filippo savi

Feb 9, 2015, 2:30:31 PM2/9/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
Hi
my name is Filippo Savi and I'm a  Electronic Engineering student arduino DUE user, and I am interested in giving a hand,
I would like to redraw from scratch the Arduino DUE board schematic, since the current version is really difficult to follow,
especially seen that the logic blocs, are indeed somewhat separated, but not layed out as best as they could (all this in my humble opinion of course).

I would like to do it with altium designer, so it would have quite a different look and feel from EAGLE,  (http://manio.skyboo.net/ethlcd/ethlcd_wiring.png take this image as a reference)

I could fit it all in a single page, but the best way to do the job would be separating power supply, atmega and mcu+I/O in three different sheets

I ask if all this is ok, or will it be rejected (i much prefer to know it now than at job done)

Filippo Savi

Vaclav Sal

Feb 11, 2015, 1:12:43 PM2/11/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
Filippo,
I would check if the current schematic is in Eagle format so the PCB can be build as "open hardware".But if there are conversion apps to go between Eagle and Altium it does not matter.
I would also ponder if detailed schematic will be useful to general public.
I think most users are looking for more hardware / layout description..
Check out the Due pin diagram on Arduino main site- Due forum.

Good luck with your studies.
Vaclav - 1968 MSEE graduate from CVUT Prague

Graynomad

Feb 11, 2015, 6:00:00 PM2/11/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
A schematic in Altium format woud probably be of no use to the general public, but very useful for clone builders who use Altium.

Rob

Randy Ferrell

Feb 12, 2015, 4:01:25 PM2/12/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
if you like I can convert just about any schematic/board to Aluium

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 6:00 PM, Graynomad <r...@robgray.com> wrote:
A schematic in Altium format woud probably be of no use to the general public, but very useful for clone builders who use Altium.

Rob

filippo savi

Feb 18, 2015, 5:02:50 AM2/18/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
cloners are a non issue for me, let'ds be clear the ardware side of arduino in not rocket science, if someone wants to build a clone and he is determined it takes much more than a shitty schematic to stop them, the current version of the document is complete, so it's just a mmatter of spending 10 minutes to figure out what goes where, secondly if someone wants to build a clone than all he should do is grab the eagle files, download eagle, change branding, generate gerbers and voila The clone is ready

i think that the nature filosofy behind open source/open hardware is to give power to the user, even if it means helping competitors, the ugly thing here is that we are trying to fix a license problem (if there is one) by providing the user shitty documentation and the best part of it is that it wwon't even make cloners blink (i talk chinese producers not average joes in their garage) they know there are money to be made, so even if you made arduino a closed hardware design they would just reverse engineer the thing, since it'sit's just a 2 layer board, with all well known components, let'slet's not be silly here they can clone stuff ftom high end manifacturers that spend a fortune every year in DRM/anti copy protection, how we even think we can stop them or even slow them down

For the altium problem, i understand your concerns (about users not having the software) so if you tell me the schematic revamp is ok to do i'll do it in eagle
Message has been deleted