why has no one updated/upgrated the new IDE?

Frank Lopez

Sep 7, 2015, 4:23:37 AM9/7/15
to Developers
New ide but same background i dont know about you guys but i spent hours doing debugging on arduino and all this staring into the ide bright white background hurts my eye and wearing glasses just makes it worse as now you be maximizing the zoom level of the brightness and while i could just bring down the brightness of my lcd im just left getting closer to see or resulting in squinting my eyes to focus better, why hasn't Arduino added a blck or or inverted feature to the settings ? this will help alot.

on another not what ever happened to the Arduino web beta i herd about a couple of months ago?  this was supposed to be the equivalent of what Visual Studios is to C++ Programming, any word?

Federico Fissore

Sep 7, 2015, 4:26:32 AM9/7/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
You can change background colour editing file theme.txt [1]: locate line
editor.bgcolor = #ffffff
change it to something else

[1] IDE_INSTALLATION_PATH\lib\theme\theme.txt

federico

Adrian Godwin

Sep 7, 2015, 7:01:53 AM9/7/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
Full respect to Frank's preferences but I don't like working on a black background. This is definitely something that should not be fixed, though changing a theme file is fine with me

Chris Osiecki

Sep 7, 2015, 9:24:32 AM9/7/15
to devel...@arduino.cc

What about a set of themes you can select from like in Notepad++? Then people can try out different colors without having to edit their preference files and managing backups of settings files, etc.

Raffaele Tranquillini

Sep 7, 2015, 10:24:33 AM9/7/15
to devel...@arduino.cc

I agree with Frank. I think this option should be enabled by default (or that it should be easy to switch to it using the Preferences).

Federico Fissore

Sep 7, 2015, 10:28:39 AM9/7/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
We are not going to provide a theme selection for the Arduino IDE.
However, such feature will be available on Arduino Create.

This discussion starts looking like a support thread, which does not
belong to this developers list.
Please consult the arduino forum or mail sup...@arduino.cc

Regards

Federico
> <mailto:developers+...@arduino.cc>.

Frank Lopez

Sep 7, 2015, 10:29:17 AM9/7/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
hey i know it's not for everyone bu the option should be there to change as you please, specially something so easy to implement into the ide architecture.

Frank's Desig'Nature

"Designed Signature Inspired by Nature"

Frank Lopez

Sep 7, 2015, 10:30:15 AM9/7/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
where when ? i been hearing about the Arduino web base beta and im still to see it

Frank's Desig'Nature

"Designed Signature Inspired by Nature"

Massimo Banzi

Sep 7, 2015, 10:39:09 AM9/7/15
to Arduino Developers

This is an open source project, if you guys feel strongly about this, the best way to make it happen is to send a pull request.

We are currently dealing with some more pressing improvements to the IDE

q2dg2b .

Sep 7, 2015, 10:48:23 AM9/7/15
to Arduino Developers

Maybe a short guide about changing IDE colors in "Tutorials" web section could help...

William Westfield

Sep 9, 2015, 10:47:16 PM9/9/15
to devel...@arduino.cc, Frank Lopez

> editing file theme.txt

There are relatively extensive discussions (and samples) in the Arduino forums; just search for “theme.txt”:

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=theme.txt&btnG=search&domains=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.arduino.cc&sitesearch=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.arduino.cc&gws_rd=ssl#q=theme.txt+site:http://forum.arduino.cc&domains=http://forum.arduino.cc&start=10

Also, if you are on windows, someone actually wrote a theme editor: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=191669.0 (I suspect that it hasn’t been updated for the new install layout, though.)

BillW/WestfW

Paul Stoffregen

Sep 10, 2015, 6:49:27 AM9/10/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
On 09/07/2015 07:28 AM, Federico Fissore wrote:
> We are not going to provide a theme selection for the Arduino IDE.
> However, such feature will be available on Arduino Create.

Kinda seems like you guys might be abandoning the traditional IDE. Or
maybe I'm just reading too much into this?

tzi...@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2015, 8:01:47 AM9/10/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
It might be a coincidence that both Arduinos are working on their own online IDE.

Then again, some would say that they're doing it in order to differentiate with their own IDE & community of users. After all, there is a "war" going on right now.

Vasilis

Massimo Banzi

Sep 14, 2015, 7:01:37 PM9/14/15
to Arduino Developers
Yes you guys are reading way too much into this :) :)

I don’t want to sound hard but I think it would be very beneficial for the community if we used this list for practical purposes and we could refrain from gossiping about the intentions behind our actions.

If you guys want to know anything please come forward and ask, I’ll try to do my best to answer any of your questions.

We are supporting our (With our I mean ours as the whole Arduino community) existing IDE and have been enhancing it constantly. Our new command line compiler is a new major addition to the project.
Federico Fissore is doing a great job there: Finally after years we’re replacing a bunch of regexp with some more decent code giving us ample room to grow.

Our online IDE is just one module of a much bigger initiative to integrate the whole Arduino user experience from discovering through to learning, coding, getting help and delivering a working product. We will have more news at Maker Faire NY on some of these developments.

thanks