To linuxers: how about switching to java 7?

Federico Fissore

Apr 15, 2015, 11:12:10 AM4/15/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
Hi all

Since 1.6.2 we bundle the JVM for both MacOSX and Windows. Bundled VM is
Java 8

My (old) ubuntu 12.04 doesn't feature openjdk 8 as a installable
package, nor does 14.04 as far as I google

So, linuxers, what about officially switching to java 7?

It would allow to use more recent libraries, write shorter code ("try
with resources" to mention one) and leverage a richer API (as mentioned
by @wayoda [1])

Federico

[1] https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/issues/2830#issuecomment-87378227

Ricardo JL Rufino

Apr 15, 2015, 11:18:43 AM4/15/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
would be great ...

Andrew Kroll

Apr 15, 2015, 1:08:37 PM4/15/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
I already use 7 and 8 here, and I use Oracle Java

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 11:18 AM, Ricardo JL Rufino <ric...@criativasoft.com.br> wrote:
would be great ...

Visit my github for awesome Arduino code @ https://github.com/xxxajk

Adrian Godwin

Apr 15, 2015, 1:37:47 PM4/15/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 6:08 PM, Andrew Kroll <xxx...@gmail.com> wrote:
I already use 7 and 8 here, and I use Oracle Java

This underlines, for me, why Java is such a disappointment. If it can't do what it set out to do, it should die. What possible use is a run-anywhere environment that has to carry its runtime with the application ?

Federico Fissore

Apr 15, 2015, 2:57:41 PM4/15/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
Adrian Godwin ha scrito il 15/04/2015 alle 19:37:
We bundle it only to make life easier for users (less install steps)
It is of course not required. And indeed linuxers (who statistically
know much better the thing they have in front of them) don't have the
jvm bundled

federico

Adrian Godwin

Apr 15, 2015, 3:24:29 PM4/15/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
As a linuxer, I find java awful. It makes no sense to have to select the 'right' jvm for any given application.

I agree that bundling makes it easier, and welcome that. My point is, however, that having to bundle the jvm (for a specific host) in order to make it easier makes a nonsense of using a vm at all. You might as well ship a binary. It would be smaller and likely be more reliable, too.