Separating the sketchbook parser from the menu editor in Base.java

Waldo Withers

Mar 10, 2015, 4:22:21 AM3/10/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
Hi,

We're students at Cornell working as contributors to codebender, and we want to commit a patch to the Arduino IDE as well, since we have found an area that we could improve.

In Base.java, the addSketches() and addSketchesSubmenu() functions use a JMenu to store sketch information. We propose rewriting both functions to separate the GUI portions from the sketchbook parser portions of the code. This would make the code more modular, it has a better separation of concerns, etc.

I am fairly certain that it would be a straightforward task that we could complete in a timely manner, and in fact I have already laid the groundwork for other purposes. Would this change be accepted? Anything we should keep in mind? Also, could someone point us to the test cases for this part of the code? If there aren't we'd write some, so could you point us to where to put them?

Have a nice day!

Waldo Withers

Federico Fissore

Mar 10, 2015, 4:29:57 AM3/10/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
Hi Waldo

Waldo Withers ha scrito il 09/03/2015 alle 20:42:
> Hi,
> We're students at Cornell working as contributors to codebender, and we
> want to commit a patch to the Arduino IDE as well, since we have found
> an area that we could improve.

I'm glad you'd like to contribute

> I am fairly certain that it would be a straightforward task that we
> could complete in a timely manner, and in fact I have already laid the
> groundwork for other purposes. Would this change be accepted? Anything
> we should keep in mind? Also, could someone point us to the test cases
> for this part of the code? If there aren't we'd write some, so could you
> point us to where to put them?

A general advice is to make separate commits for separate modifications,
and keep the overall patch as small as possible to ease review.

There is a handful of test cases but probably not one that tests this
particular piece of code. Adding a test case greatly simplifies the review.

I can't wait to see your patch

Regards

Federico

Timothy Nguyen

Nov 17, 2015, 4:31:44 AM11/17/15
to Developers
Hi Federico,

We're students from UCSD also working as contributors to Codebender. We have picked up this project and would like to rewrite the previously mentioned functions that Waldo talked about to make the code more modular.

It seems that you're okay with us making these changes, but is there anything else we should keep in mind?

Thank you for your time.

Best,
Tim
Message has been deleted