Visulisation for Arduino

Jo

Mar 19, 2017, 11:04:35 AM3/19/17
to Developers
Hi

So i'm a university student doing a project comparing Arduino's to PIC micro-controllers. I know that PIC's have the ability to use Wiz C to virtually test programs before uploading to a micro-controller and was wondering if there was anything similar available or being developed for Arduino's.

Thanks

Joe

Dennis Lee Bieber

Mar 19, 2017, 6:51:19 PM3/19/17
to devel...@arduino.cc
On Sat, 18 Mar 2017 07:06:58 -0700 (PDT), Jo
<jm1...@my.bristol.ac.uk> declaimed the following:
Arduino is a board.... And an IDE using a simplified C++ (IE: it hides
having to code a main() and all event handling by use of a hidden main()
that calls setup() and then loops over calls to loop() )

Most Arduino's are based upon Atmel AVR processors (now owned by
MicroChip/PIC). Some Arduino's are based on ARM Cortex M-series (these are
also Atmel-produced chips using processor designs from ARM).

So your real question would come down to be what is available for AVR
and ARM processors. It is possible to program an Arduino Uno without using
the Arduino IDE (and I have one book that even shows how to use an Uno as a
programmer for bare AVR chips stuck in a breadboard)

For AVR there is Atmel Studio, which may support part of what you are
asking. However, you have to take into account that most AVRs are much more
complex then most PIC chips, so simulating them becomes more complex -- a
PIC with only 96 bytes of RAM and more than 1K instruction Flash could be
considered large (often the "RAM" address space includes all the GPIO
control registers, and you may find only 32-64 bytes of actual general
purpose RAM). In contrast the AVRs used on Arduinos -- take the Uno -- is
2kB RAM and 32kB Flash (the Mega2560 is 8/256 kB respectively, and the ARM
M3 based Due was 96/512 kB respectively)

Atmel Studio should also support the Atmel ARM-based chips, based upon
the choices under File/New/Project.

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlf...@ix.netcom.com HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

Darth Maker

Mar 19, 2017, 10:04:48 PM3/19/17
to Arduino Developers
For the sake of increasing awareness, PIC microcontrollers which are reasonably compared to AVR controllers (not a $5 to a $.5 chip) actually have memory size and peripheral availability in their favor. This wasn't necessarily the case 10 years ago, back when Arduino was getting it's start. Really, there isn't anything to do with the chips themselves that drives all this. If one cares about this (even though it doesn't matter that much), I recommend taking a look at the PIC16 and PIC18 product pages on microchip.com, and comparing them to the AVR chips used in Arduinos. Note that the PIC18 chips are pretty comparable in cost, while the PIC16 line actually matches more evenly for features/memory (especially with the most recent lines of chips).

One thing that makes them different software-wise is that the big compiler for AVR is GCC-based (free and open source), while the strongest pushed (historically anyway, I've been out for a couple years) compilers for PIC are expensive, proprietary software. (You can actually use GCC for PIC, but it takes someone comfortable with the command line, and willing+able to do things "the hard way".)

To Jo,

There are no debugging or simulation features that are part of the original Arduino suite/software. I'm not sure if the Arduino boards themselves can be debugged, since code is uploaded via a serial data line, rather than a "programmer".

There are more tools available which have enough "Arduino-ness" to them to be mentioned here: http://playground.arduino.cc/Main/DevelopmentTools At least a couple options on that list support some form of debugging.

Andrew Kroll

Mar 20, 2017, 1:24:41 AM3/20/17
to devel...@arduino.cc
AVR dragon on the ICSP/SPI connector and you got debug, and well, everything really.
--
Visit my github for awesome Arduino code @ https://github.com/xxxajk

Geert Roumen

Mar 20, 2017, 9:19:53 AM3/20/17
to devel...@arduino.cc
Hey Jo,

It looks like this is what you're searching for

I don't know if they actually simulate the whole AVR chip, but you're able to play with the code without the hardware...
Kind regards/ Met vriendelijke groet,
Geert Roumen (Design intern LEGO product technology);
w http://lemio.nl;
e geert.jac...@lego.com
t 0610853457;
a Aastvej 6a, 9170, Billund, Denmark

soundararajan dhakshinamoorthy

Mar 28, 2017, 12:45:42 AM3/28/17
to devel...@arduino.cc
I suppose you can use the Arduino from Atmel studio 7.0 or later which has inbuilt simulator.

BR,
Soundararajan

-Soundararajan Dhakshinamoorthy