IDE File Open and Open Recent Useability problem when using an external editor

Roger Forsey

Mar 10, 2017, 1:49:20 AM3/10/17
to Developers

There is a useability bug in the Arduino IDE File Open and Open Recent dialogs if you are editing you sketch with an editor like Notepad++.

Note that I do not select Use an external editor in Preferences.

If you Verify/Compile or Upload your sketch, and the IDE reports an error, you can correct the sketch in Notepad++ and save the changes.

Switch back to the Arduino IDE and use File Open or Open Recent dialogs to load the updated file into the IDE.

This works as expected. However, the bug appears if you continue your sketch development by editing the sketch in Notepad++ and saving the updates and then swapping back to the Arduino IDE.

If you use the File Open or Open Recent dialogs to load the updated file into the IDE, it does not load the updated sketch file.

You think that you have made some error-free changes and continue with the development/test cycle unaware that it is running the old sketch.

The only workaround is to restart the Arduino IDE so that it loads the updated sketch file.

IDE Enhancement Recommendation

Enhance the Arduino IDE by monitoring the state of the open sketch file. If a change is detected, prompt the user like Notepad++ does, and offer the option of opening the updated file.

With this enhancement, you can make the changes in the external editor, save the changes, swap back to the Arduino IDE, accept the sketch file update prompt and then Verify/Compile or Upload your sketch.

System details:

Development system: Windows 10 Version1607 (OS Build 14393.693)

Arduino IDE 1.6.13

Notepad++ v5.9.3

Andrew Kroll

Mar 10, 2017, 11:23:41 AM3/10/17
to devel...@arduino.cc
I second this bug. Netbeans will see the update from the arduino IDE but not the reverse.

Visit my github for awesome Arduino code @ https://github.com/xxxajk

Kurt Eckhardt

Mar 10, 2017, 12:07:17 PM3/10/17
to devel...@arduino.cc

For what it is worth, I third it.

The majority of the time I do my editing these days, using Sublime text and some of the time I do the compiles from there.

However I do a majority of my compiling using the IDE.

Another option I have used is to turn on Use External editor preference, to get it to start reloading stuff, but then often turn

It back off as when I am doing simple programs like to try to help out uses on PJRC forums, I simply want to quickly enter their

Program, which is often simply a cut/paste from postings…

So I personally like the idea that the code should monitor external file change notifications and ask me if I wish to refresh.

Alternatively or in addition: It would be nice to be able to have quick way to turn on/off use external Editor option.  Like maybe a menu item

Under sketch or tools, which maybe turns it on or off for the current sketch window.

Kurt

Visit my github for awesome Arduino code @ https://github.com/xxxajk

Andrew Kroll

Mar 10, 2017, 12:56:23 PM3/10/17
to devel...@arduino.cc
An icon to reload the source, and another to turn on external editor would be cool to have too, since FAT/VFAT has only a 2 second resolution on modification time.

Visit my github for awesome Arduino code @ https://github.com/xxxajk

per1234

Mar 10, 2017, 5:23:42 PM3/10/17
to Developers