Board Manager file extraction on Mac OS X

Rick Anderson

Jan 2, 2016, 10:47:42 AM1/2/16
to Arduino Developer's List
Hi All,

We've been migrating chipKIT-core from a standlone package in the hardware folder  to work with the package.json process. Currently, core, compiler, pic32prog are downloading and passing the CRC check. But the compiler is corrupted upon extraction.

I get the following error:
```
fork/exec /Users/nn/Library/Arduino15/packages/chipKIT/tools/pic32-tools/4.8.3-pic32gcc/bin/pic32-g++: exec format error
Error compiling.
```
Any chance this is a know issue? Is there a work around like using tar.gz instead of zip?

-_Rick

--
Co-founder
Fair Use Building and Research (FUBAR) Labs

Álvaro Lopes

Jan 2, 2016, 11:05:48 AM1/2/16
to devel...@arduino.cc, Rick Anderson
Rick,

Is this a corruption issue or is that binary for a different architecture ? Can you try loading it on a debugger (gdb) ?

Alvaro

Rick Anderson

Jan 2, 2016, 11:25:32 AM1/2/16
to Álvaro Lopes, devel...@arduino.cc

I've confirmed if I download the same file using curl and then extract it then it works fine.

--Rick

Martino Facchin

Jan 4, 2016, 4:08:52 AM1/4/16
to devel...@arduino.cc, Álvaro Lopes
Hi Rick, this looks like a symlink or downloaded package error.
First of all, can you post here the output of commands "file /Users/nn/Library/Arduino15/packages/chipKIT/tools/pic32-tools/4.8.3-pic32gcc/bin/pic32-g++" and "ls -la  /Users/nn/Library/Arduino15/packages/chipKIT/tools/pic32-tools/4.8.3-pic32gcc/bin/pic32-g++"
Anyway, tar.gz is a supported compression format for cores/tools on every platform so you could try using it and check if the problem disappears.
To perform a clean test, remove /Users/nn/Library/Arduino15/packages/chipKIT/ folder entirely, your json in Arduino15 folder and the downloaded packages in Arduino15/staging, then reinstall the core using BoardManager (on IDE 1.6.7 to avoid other problems)

Cheers,
Martino

Rick Anderson

Jan 4, 2016, 8:08:30 AM1/4/16
to devel...@arduino.cc, Álvaro Lopes

Thanks for the feedback. We switched to the tar.gz solution, and it weighs great!

We're doing final testing and getting to release the core.  We'll then want to get it added to boards manager default list.

Very exciting moment for the chipKIT project.

-Rick

Andrew Kroll

Jan 4, 2016, 8:12:05 AM1/4/16
to devel...@arduino.cc
No more extracting manually in ~/Arduino/hardware ???
FYI I did try the JSON boards manager installs some time ago, and it was horribly broken on Linux.
Briefly, the recipes were all broken, even though it actually installed (with a little help).

Visit my github for awesome Arduino code @ https://github.com/xxxajk

Rick Anderson

Jan 4, 2016, 9:33:39 AM1/4/16
to Arduino Developer's List

We will support both install methods. This version has a new compiler. Uses pic32prog for programming. We had to update the platform.txt file for 1.6.6+ So all the recipes are correct.  We still are doing final tests. What is left is:

1. ARM version needs updating and testing. This adds RaspberryPI support for instance.
2. The compiler is still 32bit and under linux 64 bit needs to compat libraries.

Issue 1. Will be done ASAP.

Issue 2. The group doing the compiler support needs to build a 64 bit version. When ever that happens it will be added.

--Rick

Andrew Kroll

Jan 4, 2016, 9:43:38 AM1/4/16
to devel...@arduino.cc