Status of github.com/arduino/toolchain-avr ?

Gareth Evans

Mar 22, 2018, 8:55:32 AM3/22/18
to Developers
Hi!

I was wondering if github.com/arduino/toolchain-avr reflects what is currently used in the toolchain?

I ask because I noticed that the directory structure of the site one of the dependencies it uses has changed, I think I can PR a fix but wanted to be sure this would be amiable.

Additionally I noticed that the version of the atmel toolchain it uses is a few versions behind. Is this deliberate or would PRs be accepted?

The reason I am poking at this is I would like to learn-by-doing by transitioning myself gradually from Arduino to the Atmel tools. I'm a professional developer but I have little to no experience in MCUs, hence the experimentation.

Cheers,
Gareth

William Westfield

Mar 22, 2018, 9:42:32 PM3/22/18
to devel...@arduino.cc, evan...@gmail.com
> I noticed that the version of the atmel toolchain it uses is a few versions behind.

Probably intentional. There was a string of unusable versions of gcc in between 4.3.2 and 4.8, so we’re all a little gun-shy about jumping to new releases. (it seems that Arduino is probably the main user of avr-g++)

https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/issues/1208

BillW/WestfW

Gareth Evans

Mar 23, 2018, 1:29:31 AM3/23/18
to Developers, evan...@gmail.com
Excellent information, thank you!

Gabriel Staples

Mar 23, 2018, 2:26:16 AM3/23/18
to devel...@arduino.cc
Hi Gareth,

I don't have hardly any experience with the Atmel/Microchip tools but I am interested also in the transition gradually from Arduino to other professional tools. This part of what you said caught my attention. Arduino has had such a profound impact on my life that it urged me to make a serious study of microcontrollers and programming, as well as electrical engineering, and as a result I have recently moved into full time professional programming.

I'd like to embark on the learning process with you if you'd like to share back and forth. I am also highly intrigued by STM32 microcontrollers and just today (after a couple hundred hrs or effort) I got the STM32F103 Nucleo to blink, take C++ code instead of pure C, and print out a millis() timestamp to the Arduino serial monitor. Despite using STM example code getting up and running is rather poorly documented and was quite difficult for me. If you want my code I can have you up and running with this in minutes, not hrs. With precise instructions it's easy.

Perhaps you'd like to learn STM32 as well? We can share back and forth about our progress with that and AVR tools? I post this as a response to the whole group only because a person or two here might want to join me as well on this journey. If so feel free to respond and we can eventually move this side discussion off the main forum and work together.

Thanks!

Gabriel Staples
Electric RC Aircraft Guy, LLC
www.ElectricRCAircraftGuy.com

Check out my "Computa Pranksta" USB device sold on Amazon!

(sent from my Android)

Gareth Evans

Mar 23, 2018, 3:45:49 AM3/23/18
to Developers
OK, I've submitted a PR that makes master work out of the box: https://github.com/arduino/toolchain-avr/pull/50 .

I've also made a Dockerfile for reproducible builds, primarily for my own use but it might be useful to others: https://github.com/evansgp/docker-arduino-toolchain .

I now realise that version bumping the dependencies is probably above my head right now and wouldn't help me with my goals, so I'll leave that one.

Cheers!