WPS Push Button feature for IoT projects over WiFi

Francesco Forti

Jan 30, 2015, 6:12:12 AM1/30/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
Hallo all,

for what I've read, both Arduino Yun and the Arduino WiFi shield do not support the WPS Push Button feature. This feature would be very useful for IoT projects as it allows easy peering of wifi arduino sensors to a wifi router.

Question to the developers of these products: are you considering to add the WPS Push Button functionality on Yun and/or WiFi shield?

Thank you,

Francesco

Fabian Fippl

Apr 7, 2015, 3:45:14 PM4/7/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
Hi,

I searched for the feature of WPS Push Button connection to Wifi networks with Arduino too and just found the folllowing results:

1. MCU Smart
I think that's a Wifi module, which I connect to my arduino about a serial connection, but there is no librariy or any explanation to find.

2. In this topic tere is a new wifi shield, which was presented in new york and it supports the WPS feature, but I can't find it for purchasing.

But no direct feature which is available or programmable.

If anybody know a goot solution I will be very grateful!

Matthew Ford

Apr 7, 2015, 5:45:35 PM4/7/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
Hi Fabian,
A quote from my website,

" Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) was supposed to provide a simple means for user to connect devices to the local network but a major security flaw was revealed in December 2011 and users are now advised to disable this support from their routers (if they can)
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Setup"

I have written an open source replacement, pfodWifiConfig,
http://www.forward.com.au/pfod/pfodWifiConfig/index.html

pfodWifiConfig does more then just connect your IoT to the network, it also lets the user config other device parameters, depending on the mode the IoT device is running, SERVER, CLIENT or  CLIENT with LOGIN.

pfodWifiConfig consists of an Android App and a number of libraries for Arduino based wifi boards.
The app is
available on googleplay and slideme.org, if your phone does not have google play installed.  Source is available on request.

If there is not a library for your board let me know and we can develop one,  only one method needed to add a new board.

regards
matthew

Mattias Schlenker

Apr 8, 2015, 5:19:50 AM4/8/15
to devel...@arduino.cc

Am Dienstag, 7. April 2015 21:45:14 UTC+2 schrieb Fabian Fippl:

2. In this topic tere is a new wifi shield, which was presented in new york and it supports the WPS feature, but I can't find it for purchasing.

The first samples of the Atmel WINC1500 have been shipped and should be available in numbers in a few weeks, so some manufacturers are doing initial runs of boards based on it. You should expect them to be available soon (probably availabilty will be announced at Maker Faire Bay Area by two manufacturers at least).

The security hole mentioned affects WPS PIN, not WPS Push Button.

Francesco Forti

Apr 8, 2015, 6:42:36 AM4/8/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
Il giorno mercoledì 8 aprile 2015 11:19:50 UTC+2, Mattias Schlenker ha scritto:

The security hole mentioned affects WPS PIN, not WPS Push Button.

I agree, the WPS Push Button method has not been reported to have security issues.

I think that Push Button is the easiest way to make the wifi peering. Is there any chance to see it implemented in the Arduino Yun?

Francesco

Mattias Schlenker

Apr 19, 2015, 8:49:52 AM4/19/15
to devel...@arduino.cc

Am Mittwoch, 8. April 2015 12:42:36 UTC+2 schrieb Francesco Forti:

I think that Push Button is the easiest way to make the wifi peering. Is there any chance to see it implemented in the Arduino Yun?

From a technical standpoint it should not be too hard. There are still enough GPIO ports from the 2331 left, so only minor changes to the software would be necessary. If you want to use my port of the Bridge scripts to Raspberry and are interested in deploying RPis with shields instead of Yúns at some scale I Could retrofit the WPS push button feature in reasonable time.

Nuage (french for cloud) instead of Yún (chinese for cloud) http://www.arduino-hausautomation.de/nuage/

Mattias