Arduino Zero?

Pierce Nichols

Apr 22, 2015, 7:37:11 PM4/22/15
to Arduino Developers
What's the current plan for releasing the Arduino Zero code and
boards? I noticed that those other folks have released both the board
and the code to go with it, and I'd really like to get my hands on an
official one as soon as possible.

-p

--
Pierce Nichols
Principal Engineer

Daniel De Kock

Apr 23, 2015, 2:17:50 AM4/23/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
I remember finding the Arduino Zero code ( variants file and the hardware/arduino/sam file  ) on Github a while back ( about a month ago ) but I am unable to find it now.. it might have been moved or not be where I am looking.

Alex Albino

Apr 23, 2015, 2:31:16 AM4/23/15
to devel...@arduino.cc

Do you remember if that github code had the boot loader source code, or simply the hex file for Arduino Zero?

Daniel de Kock

Apr 23, 2015, 2:36:33 AM4/23/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
The bootloader is the same ROM BOSSA from Atmel as the DUE has on it I believe ( it seems to be the common bootloader for the Atmel SAM processors ).
The rest of the code was the Arduino API port ( pin and peripheral setup and mapping similar to the DUE_X port but specific to the SAMD21 ).
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Developers" group.

Daniel De Kock

Apr 23, 2015, 2:38:33 AM4/23/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
SAM-BA, not BOSSA ( BOSSA is an app to load firmware )

On Thursday, 23 April 2015 08:36:33 UTC+2, Daniel De Kock wrote:
The bootloader is the same ROM BOSSA from Atmel as the DUE has on it I believe ( it seems to be the common bootloader for the Atmel SAM processors ).
The rest of the code was the Arduino API port ( pin and peripheral setup and mapping similar to the DUE_X port but specific to the SAMD21 ).

bob cousins

Apr 23, 2015, 5:07:30 AM4/23/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
No idea, but we are coming up to the first anniversary http://blog.arduino.cc/2014/05/15/meet-arduino-zero/

I realize that Arduino are distracted with other things, but a year is way too long to wait. It's not surprising that Adafruit sold out their stock of Zero Pro's within hours.

Mattias Schlenker

Apr 23, 2015, 7:12:07 AM4/23/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
I have been told that the availability of the EDBG might be a problem. I assume Smart Projects just used those components they had left for this limited run of Zero Pros.

Anyway, having a debug interface is nice, but most of us would take a Zero without debug interface for the price of an UNO - and not pay five bucks more than for the much more capable Due. If one searches a cheap, power saving board with an M4 or M0, Teensy 3.1 or Teensy LC might be the way to go.

Pierce Nichols

Apr 23, 2015, 11:48:08 AM4/23/15
to Arduino Developers
Even if the EDBG supply is limited, it would be nice to have the code
in the official repository so those of us with a desire to do so can
use it for variants.

-p

Alex Albino

Apr 23, 2015, 12:43:22 PM4/23/15
to devel...@arduino.cc

While working with the SAM D21 line of chips (FemtoUSB, FemtoBeacon), I found the EDBG chip unnecessary. Sketches can be loaded just fine w/ the BOSSA utility and SAM-BA boot loader (USB CDC). I suspect the EDBG chip is only there to make a separate dongle unnecessary.

Roger Clark

Apr 23, 2015, 6:46:00 PM4/23/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
I'm not interested in the Zero particularly, but I'm very interested in any embedded debug facilities that could be added to the IDE

Does anyone know what the plans were for this.

The EDBG stuff is featured prominently in the blog posting on Arduino.cc and also on he product page http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardZero

So the presumption I has was that IDE would support EDBG, but I'm not sure how, as I'd have thought it was a lot of additional functionality ???

William Westfield

Apr 23, 2015, 8:41:20 PM4/23/15
to devel...@arduino.cc

> it would be nice to have the code in the official repository

Well, the code is in the Arduino.org repository.
https://github.com/arduino-org/Arduino , “ide-org-1.6.1.x” branch.

> I'm very interested in any embedded debug facilities that could be added to the IDE

I was hoping for that as well. There isn’t anything that I can see in the current .org code.

BillW/WestfW

Taylor Alexander

Apr 23, 2015, 9:28:14 PM4/23/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
Since this is all the interested parties, I wanted to plug my product, Flutter Wireless. It's got a SAM3S1 CPU, which is the same core as the one in the DUE but in a smaller package. The board comes with a built in wireless radio similar to Zigbee all for $36. Wireless range is one kilometer at 20kbps and it goes up to 1mbps at smaller ranges. Also has a single cell lipo charger, crypto chip, two buttons and a multicolor LED. All libre hardware (we are working on FSF's "Respects your freedom" certification). It has also been FCC tested and passed. The JTAG pins are broken out to the common header and we will be offering a JTAG shield soonly. The first 1000 units ship out this month.

https://github.com/flutterwireless
http://www.flutterwireless.com/

Right now I am the only person working for Flutter so development has been slow, but I am looking to expand soon. Things will move a lot in the next few months as Kickstarter shipments all get fulfilled. You can pre-order now on the site, and that helps me out a lot. Thanks and I hope this plug is appropriate, but I think you will all really like the hardware. Totally copyleft as I really wanted to make something the community could own.

Wayne Holder

Apr 23, 2015, 10:18:02 PM4/23/15
to Arduino Developers
It seems very strange that a product that as announced a year (Zero) ago has no visible development thread for the software, especially since this is all supposed to be an open source, open hardware project.

Wayne

William Westfield

Apr 23, 2015, 10:26:49 PM4/23/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
> no visible development thread for the software,

Arduino software for a board has never been released prior to the board FCS.
People in the private beta got something (probably. I’m not one of them.)

I don’t see that as unfair. It would suck for someone to take a premature snapshot of the pre-release code and start shipping nearly-compatible hardware when there were “other reasons” for the real thing not shipping yet. (I suppose we can change that from “would suck” to “does suck.” :-( )

BillW / WestfW

Andrew Kroll

Apr 24, 2015, 5:25:25 AM4/24/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
Yes, we have a private beta, for beta testers :-)

Visit my github for awesome Arduino code @ https://github.com/xxxajk

Visual Micro

Apr 24, 2015, 8:56:43 AM4/24/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
Yes it is a private beta but was open to the public to apply. So to be clear, the beta people were not identified specifically by Arduino but on a first come first served basis.

Nevada Smith

Apr 27, 2015, 8:13:00 AM4/27/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
@Taylor: Your post was a bit offtopic. I knew Flutter before. The only thing that keeps me from buying it is the 15$ shipping fee. Here in Germany you can send worldwide for 3,50€ (which is almost the same price in $). I am just waiting for local stores to sell them. You may ask the shop below to resell your hardware. And you also never answered my developer writing. Not even a word came back from you. I at least expected something like "Oh sorry, but we have enough". I applied for the USB development by the way.

@Topic:
This german shop now has 45 Arduino Zeros in stock for 46,41€:
http://www.exp-tech.de/arduino-zero-pro?___store=de

So what the hell is going on with the Zero?

Taylor Alexander

Apr 27, 2015, 6:33:47 PM4/27/15
to devel...@arduino.cc
@Nevada Smith. Thanks for your comments. I apologize if my plug was off topic, I just think people interested in something like the Zero would like Flutter, which has similar specs. But I will avoid such plugs in the future. I did have an issue with my online store applying a $15 shipping fee to every unit, but I've fixed that so it is $15 per order, which is close to my cost. I will be providing the product to local stores soon, but I am still working hard to get the very first shipment of 1000 units out the door. I am the only person working for Flutter so these things take time. I'm also sorry if I missed your message, but I assure you it was not deliberate. There are a lot of ways people can ask me questions, and only e-mail is reliable. You have reminded me that I still have the developer survey up, and I should take it down. I haven't pulled names from it in 6 weeks, and some came back without any contact info. I will e-mail you off list, as I would very much appreciate your development help. I will pay for shipping out of pocket to alleviate that issue.