Resurrection of www.aptrust.org (finally)

Chip German

Dec 1, 2020, 11:05:44 AM12/1/20
to APTrust community, APTrust advisory committee, APTrust communication committee
Folks:

A task that has long been on our list has been completed, albeit not in the way we would have hoped.  Our old www.aptrust.org web site (hosted by Network Solutions and difficult to edit/maintain thanks to the proprietary approach contractors took in its creation long ago) failed sometime shortly before November 5.  Because the contractors who created it no longer focus on that kind of work, we had to scramble to recover the content manually, and we used the opportunity to move the site to a WordPress platform hosted on AWS.  Recovery of the content from the old location and reconstruction for the new one took some meticulous work, and we were behind an "under construction" sign for some weeks.

The site took its first breaths on Monday--you'll find it at aptrust.org.  Our work to restore it aimed at providing a starting point for a much more maintainable and flexible site into the future, so you won't find much there in innovative design or new information, except several recent news posts that were waiting in the wings when the old site went down.  It will have SSL in coming weeks, but doesn't on day 2.  Everyone pitched in, but special thanks Andrew Diamond who rescued the old stuff and to Flavia Ruffner who set new core components up so substantial restoration work could get under way.

For those of us deeply immersed in the day-to-day of APTrust (staff and members both), the old site's constraints have been painful, and the new one opens many more possibilities.  We're glad it is back, and our communications committee will now be able to guide us into much more effective use of this channel.

Thanks again to all, especially for patience as we were slogging through the revival, and please let me know if you see things that need attention!

Chip

R. F. (Chip) German Jr.
Program Director
Academic Preservation Trust