New Look for Google Groups

Daniel Rivera

Dec 7, 2011, 1:45:00 PM12/7/11
to sout...@appsusersgroup.com
Hello everyone,

As I understand it, the New Look isn't yet available for Google Apps groups, but I seemed to have stumbled on it.  I'm not sure if it's a bug or if I need to take some action to officially activate it but, here's my experience and I was hoping someone could clarify.

If I visit groups.google.com directly, I see the new look.  If I then click to get to our university groups, it maintains the new look:

However, if I go to Google Groups via our sandbar in our university mail, I get the Old look.  There is a difference in the URLs (one uses form the other groups).

My questions:

  • Since the new look seems to be working, how can we turn it on by default?  I've enabled it for my account, but it only works when I go there from groups.google.com
  • is this a bug?  Does anyone else have the new look for Google Groups?
Thanks for any advice you can give,

Jeff Bartlett

Dec 7, 2011, 2:25:47 PM12/7/11
to sout...@appsusersgroup.com
See notes below - Hope this helps.

image.png

Regards,
Jeff

image.png

Daniel Rivera

Dec 7, 2011, 2:47:45 PM12/7/11
to sout...@appsusersgroup.com
Thanks Jeff.  I know about the new look, and I've already enabled it for my gmail, calendar, docs, etc.  I've even clicked to preview the new look in Groups.

What I mean is that there seems to be an inconsistency in Groups depending on how I access it.  Sometimes it shows the new look, and sometimes it doesn't.  I'm using the new look right now for example, because I went first to Groups.google.com (though I'm still accessing the /a/appsusersgroup.com  domain)  but if I come to the same group, same domain, via our sandbar in gmail, it reverts to the old look.

Nicholas Young

Dec 8, 2011, 8:04:35 AM12/8/11
to sout...@appsusersgroup.com
Daniel,

I get the same experience you are talking about (signing in via groups.google.com gives me the new look versus /a/ncsu.edu gives me the old look).

What's even more interesting, is that in the new look, I do not get a list of the groups i am a member of (when i click on My Groups, I don't have anything listed). It does say however, "You also belong to groups in 1 other domain. show"  which then links to "View 1 group at appsusersgroup.com

...but i can never see the 4 groups within ncsu.edu that I am a member of, which do show up correctly if im viewing groups via the old interface.

Anyone else having this/these issues?

--Nick
Nick Young
Outreach, Communications & Consulting
Office of Information Technology
North Carolina State University
Box 7109, Raleigh 27695
Ph. 919.513.2716 | E-Mail:
njy...@ncsu.edu
Web: oitdesign.ncsu.edu
Where Am I? go.ncsu.edu/map?njyoung

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 2:47 PM, Daniel Rivera <dri...@georgiasouthern.edu> wrote:
Thanks Jeff.  I know about the new look, and I've already enabled it for my gmail, calendar, docs, etc.  I've even clicked to preview the new look in Groups.

What I mean is that there seems to be an inconsistency in Groups depending on how I access it.  Sometimes it shows the new look, and sometimes it doesn't.  I'm using the new look right now for example, because I went first to Groups.google.com (though I'm still accessing the /a/appsusersgroup.com  domain)  but if I come to the same group, same domain, via our sandbar in gmail, it reverts to the old look.

Daniel Rivera

Dec 9, 2011, 12:46:24 PM12/9/11
to sout...@appsusersgroup.com
yeah, I can force the new look by either navigating to it via groups.google.com  or by changing the URL:

replace:   .../a/georgiasouthern.edu/group/

with:   .../a/georgiasouthern.edu/forum/#!forum/  (new look)

Jordan Pedraza

Dec 9, 2011, 2:17:42 PM12/9/11
to sout...@appsusersgroup.com
Hi All,

An update from the Groups team:

This behavior is expected and there's currently no option to opt-in the entire domain, but we're working on bringing the new UI to Apps users as soon as possible.

Thanks!

Jordan Pedraza | Google Apps for Education | jordan...@google.com

Daniel Rivera

Dec 12, 2011, 8:05:45 AM12/12/11