G-mail feature request

Gene Crocker

Sep 13, 2011, 8:26:58 AM9/13/11
to Southeast Users
Good Morning,

I am pretty sure this has been addressed before but I wanted to bring
it up again. Our users would like to see the file attachment size
increased from 25MB to 40 or 50MB. Our users work with a lot of
federal agencies on grants and other documents that get very large
especially when they start incorporating charts, graphs, and images.
Even when compressed a lot of the documents still exceed 25MB.

Using Dropbox or similar product is not an acceptable solution either.

Gene Crocker
Director IT Operations
SC DHEC

Sent from my iPad

Geoffrey Shoultz

Sep 13, 2011, 8:40:50 AM9/13/11
to Gene Crocker, Southeast Users

You can upload the files to your google docs account then share the private link in the email.

Nicholas Young

Sep 13, 2011, 8:41:59 AM9/13/11
to sout...@appsusersgroup.com
Gene,

I think one of the problems with raising the limit to 40 or 50 Mb is that it's difficult to figure out what the right level is. I mean, if you raised it to 40, then people who need to send 41 Mb attachments. There'll always be people who need to send a slightly larger file. I know that if you raise the limit, the number of people left wanting will be less, but in my experience, 25Mb is a pretty standard limit for attachments across the web...it wasn't too long ago that Hotmail/MS Live was 10Mb, Yahoo was 20Mb (not sure what they are now).

But...i think the larger issue is that if your users are doing business with federal agencies via email, then you may want to examine whether that's a good idea in the first place. Email isn't a 100% inherently secure method of communication, which is why our users who deal with NSF grants aren't allowed to do business with the govt via email. People will find work-arounds, and I'd encourage those who are "needing" to send attachments so large that maybe email isn't the right choice anymore.

We're dealing with this on our campus, where there was historically no attachment limit for intra-groupwise mail, and then it was lowered to 100Mb. For mail going out of the groupwise system, the attachment limit was 15Mb and now its 25Mb.

Plus...there's always the option of uploading the file into Google Docs, and sharing a private link with those who need to access it.

--Nick
*Nick Young*
Outreach, Communications & Consulting
Office of Information Technology