bottom line for Google +

Warren, Karen

Nov 9, 2011, 11:14:31 AM11/9/11
to nort...@appsusersgroup.com
I have been reading the flurry of email on the large North American thread regarding enabling Google +.  I think I have successfully followed most of it, but there was so much back and forth that I would love it if someone could confirm my understandings.  Since the addition in the toolbar, as predicted, people are asking.  I am fortunate that it has not been too bad, however.

Google+ is a "below the fold" service and NOT covered by our Wesleyan contract.
You must be 17 or older to use it.  Users are asked to enter a birthdate when they sign up.  Obviously, they can lie.  Does the University carry any liability there?  Are we expected to "police" that in any way?
Have any of you enabled it?
Have you informed faculty that may want to use it that they have to be aware of the age requirements?

I would love some feedback. Before I can turn this on, I have to go through our University counsel but the service is not covered by our contract, so … do I?  This is what I find confusing about the whole issue.  It is a convenience and not a University covered service, correct?

Karen

Karen Warren
Director of User and Technical Services
Wesleyan University

Warren, Karen

Nov 9, 2011, 11:23:09 AM11/9/11
to nort...@appsusersgroup.com
I am sorry. I meant to say 18 or older to use it.

Jordan Pedraza

Nov 9, 2011, 12:49:19 PM11/9/11
to Warren, Karen, nort...@appsusersgroup.com
Hi Karen,

Please see my responses inline in bold below, and let me know if there are additional questions.

Thanks!

Jordan Pedraza | Google Apps for Education | jordan...@google.com | (650) 253-6250

From: Karen Warren <kwa...@wesleyan.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 16:14:31 +0000
To: "nort...@appsusersgroup.com" <nort...@appsusersgroup.com>
Subject: [Northeast Apps] bottom line for Google +

I have been reading the flurry of email on the large North American thread regarding enabling Google +.  I think I have successfully followed most of it, but there was so much back and forth that I would love it if someone could confirm my understandings.  Since the addition in the toolbar, as predicted, people are asking.  I am fortunate that it has not been too bad, however.

Google+ is a "below the fold" service and NOT covered by our Wesleyan contract.

 Correct - Google+ is a consumer app and not covered under the Google Apps EDU Agreement for core services. Google+ and other consumer apps are covered under these additional terms instead.

You must be 17 or older to use it.  Users are asked to enter a birthdate when they sign up.  Obviously, they can lie.  Does the University carry any liability there?  Are we expected to "police" that in any way?

We leave that up to the University in terms of policy, but users must be at least age 18 in order to use Google+ at this time.

Have any of you enabled it?
Have you informed faculty that may want to use it that they have to be aware of the age requirements?

I would love some feedback. Before I can turn this on, I have to go through our University counsel but the service is not covered by our contract, so … do I?  This is what I find confusing about the whole issue.  It is a convenience and not a University covered service, correct?

This is more of a convenience - we wanted to make it easier for Google Apps users to use Google+.