Google Drive Security

Petrus4

Mar 7, 2013, 3:08:44 AM3/7/13
to nort...@appsusersgroup.com
Hello Everyone,

Perhaps you have thought about this and there is a good solution for it.

I admin a Google Apps Edu domain and I have not enabled the google drive application for my domain because I am concerned that my users unknowingly will download the contents of their G-drive on a personal machine.

I know they can already  do this from a browser.

Is there a way to limit access to the g drive application to some users in the domain but not all?

Thanks in advance!

Petrus4

Rob Howley

Mar 8, 2013, 7:00:48 AM3/8/13
to nort...@appsusersgroup.com
We were looking for the same option.  Does not seem to be available.  I know you can now enable for all and hide the notification that users get when it is enabled. So users would not know it is enabled.
Message has been deleted

Petrus4

Mar 8, 2013, 7:17:31 AM3/8/13
to nort...@appsusersgroup.com
Hi Rob,

yes I have looked at the hiding option, but security by obscurity is not really security, imo.   If google could allow enabling by org groups that would be much better!

Rob Howley

Mar 8, 2013, 7:57:28 AM3/8/13
to nort...@appsusersgroup.com
agreed...we still have ours off for the same reason.  Hopefully there will be  solution.

Richard Ruane (467)

Mar 8, 2013, 9:44:54 AM3/8/13
to Rob Howley, nort...@appsusersgroup.com
While we have Drive enabled for everyone, we don't use GMail for most of our users but those working with Google Script or creating Web apps sometimes need it.

To accomplish this, we created suborganizations for the users who do need GMail access. GMail is turned off for the primary organization, but enabled for the suborganization. (Each org gets its own "Services" tab.)

http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=182537
http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=182442

Richard Ruane
Director of Instructional Technology & Design
The College of Westchester

Confidentiality Notice: This email transmission, and any attachment to it, is the property of The College of Westchester and contains privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity names on the email. This email is intended solely for the recipient identified herein. If the reader of this email is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that the reading, copying, distributing or other action taken in reference to the contents of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately return it to the sender and delete it from your system. The telephone number to contact in the event of any question concerning the foregoing is 914-831-0408. Thank you.

Petrus4

Mar 8, 2013, 11:00:53 AM3/8/13
to nort...@appsusersgroup.com, Rob Howley
Thanks Richard,

I am aware that I can turn services on or off for users in organizational groups.  The service I cannot control with this amount of granularity is access to the Google Drive Application.   I want to be able to turn this on or off for certain users only. Currently can only turn it on or off for the full domain.

"You can disable the Google Drive service, but this disables all the components of the service, including Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides.

You can also keep the service and disable only the Google Drive for Mac/PC sync client in your domain. In your control panel, click Services > Drive and Docs, and then select Do not allow Google Drive for Mac/PC in your organization. However, note that doing this will not keep users from downloading their files from Google Drive on the web.

Similarly, you can keep the service but disable the ability for users to open their files in web apps from the Chrome Web Store. In Services > Drive and Docs, deselect Allow users to install Google Drive apps."